Do I really need prog scan+component?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by soswin, Jan 22, 2004.

1. soswin

soswin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am looking to purchase either a Toshiba SD33vb (VCR+DVD) or Philips DVDR70. I'm not too concerned with recording quality, I only record on odd occasions, so playback is more important. The tosh gives prog scan and component out, where as the philips is just scart RGB, but how much difference would that actually make? My tv is a 42" RPTV.

any advice appreciated

thanks

2. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    First question is does your TV accept progressive, not all do and if not then the point is moot. :) Beyond that, component usually gives a better quality but at times it can be hard to see, that being the case then IMHO it'd be down to the features/price of the machines that would determine my choice ... I know neither of these so can't comment specifically.

3. soswin

soswin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    TV has component in. I've read that component is a better picture but I get the impression its more of an issue for NTSC than PAL.

4. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Sorry, but 'component' doesn't equal 'progressive' :) .. my old Tosh 36" CRT had component input but didn't accept progressive .. so you still need to ascertain if the TV accepts progressive signals on its' component input.

Not sure about component being more applicable to NTSC, as far as I know it's a matter of faithful transmission of the RGB and sync signals themselves rather than the information they carry, but I don't know much about electronics.