Do I really need new HDMI leads?

Tony_T

Novice Member
Hi everyone,
Apologies if this has been raised before....

I'm in the process of upgrading my system:
Old system:
TV: Sony KDL-40W2000
Amp: Pioneer VSX-1016V
Speakers: MA BR6, 4 x BRFX, BRW-10 & BR-LCR
Sources: 60gb PS3, Humax Freesat, Xbox 360 S, Wii.

New System:
TV: LG LM860V
Amp: Onkyo TX-NR616
3D Blu Ray: Samsung BD-E5500
Other sources: As above
Speakers: as above with all 7.1 finally connected :)

Currently sound from the Freesat, PS3 & Xbox has to be routed via optical leads.

As you would expect, I have already collected a number of HDMI leads. A couple are Profigold from John Lewis whilst others are generic. Of course, the version number won't be marked on any of the leads...

Do I really need to replace all my HDMI leads?

Will I see/hear any benefit or will 3D for example simply not work?

Thanks in advance for your replies....

andy1249

Distinguished Member
The ones you have will work fine.
There is no benefit whatsoever to changing them.

3D is just another signal format , the cable neither knows nor cares what its transmitting , all that matters is bandwidth , and 3D is less bandwidth that 2D 1080p @ 60fps , nothing special that you would need a new cable for.

You dont need new cables for new gear , and as you already suspected , version numbers dont apply to cables at all , only to the electronics hardware.

Tony_T

Novice Member
Thanks for your replies :smashin:

New TV arrives on Saturday, so should be able to confirm then :)

Tony_T

Novice Member
I can confirm you were right, my existing legacy HDMI leads appear to work fine with the new gear.

One anomaly I've seen that could be attributed to the leads is in connection to one of the menus for the receiver. In the HDMI section, the Audio Return Channel appears to be greyed out. I'll need to invstigate this at some point.

Another strange side effect with the new setup is that the Freesat volume control appears to not work when tuned into a HD channel.

I started to set up the receiver and amp on Friday in advance of the TV arriving on Saturday. There appeared to be a major glitch in that the blu-ray player didn't work. It would display its system menu but would not display a picture when a disc was insterted. After some time on the phone to Samsung support and a firmware update later, I took it back to Currys along with the lead I had used to connect it. Turns out it worked perfectly when connected to their LG LM860...

Moral of story? Don't buy a 3D Blu Ray player in advance of purchasing a 3D TV thinking you can play in 2D as it might not work on older TV's.

andy1249

Distinguished Member
Good to hear that your up and running , mostly.

Regarding this ,

One anomaly I've seen that could be attributed to the leads is in connection to one of the menus for the receiver. In the HDMI section, the Audio Return Channel appears to be greyed out. I'll need to invstigate this at some point.
ARC should work with all HDMI leads.

Both amp and TV need to be HDMI 1.4 chipset models and support ARC , and the Sony KDL-40W2000 is not HDMI 1.4 , thats a 2007 model TV , HDMI 1.4 chipsets only showed up in 2009.

It should work with your new TV.

Last edited:

echrada

Banned
Introducing HDMI Specification Version 1.4a
The HDMI standard continues to evolve, with new capabilities designed to push the boundaries of the HD experience, both in the home and on the go. Here is an overview of some of the major enhancements introduced in Versions 1.4 and 1.4a of the HDMI specification that were released in June, 2009 and March, 2010, respectively:

Here are the major enhancements introduced in the HDMI 1.4 specification:

HDMI Ethernet Channel – Adds high-speed networking to an HDMI link, allowing users to take full advantage of their IP-enabled devices without a separate Ethernet cable. (more)

Audio Return Channel – Allows an HDMI-connected TV with a built-in tuner to send audio data "upstream" to a surround audio system, eliminating the need for a separate audio cable.

3D – Defines input/output protocols for major 3D video formats, paving the way for true 3D gaming and 3D home theater applications. (more)

4K Support – Enables video resolutions far beyond 1080p, supporting next-generation displays that will rival the Digital Cinema systems used in many commercial movie theatres. (more)

Content Type – Real-time signaling of content types between display and source devices, enabling a TV to optimize picture settings based on content type

Additional Color Spaces – Adds support for additional color models used in digital photography and computer graphics.

HDMI Micro Connector – A new, smaller connector for phones and other portable devices, supporting video resolutions up to 1080p.

Automotive Connection System – New cables and connectors for automotive video systems, designed to meet the unique demands of the motoring environment while delivering true HD quality.

More HERE

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
All of these ‘enhancements’ are, as andy1249 points out, ‘optional’!!!

Unless both devices connected via your HDMI cable support the ‘feature’ you are looking for you won’t see HEC, ARC, 3D, 4K etc.!!!

Joe

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Marantz SR7015 & NAD T 778 AVR + Mission LX2 MKII Speaker Reviews, AV & Film News and More
Top Bottom