1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do I really need my "midwoofer"?

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by Brian Kendig, Dec 2, 2004.

1. Brian Kendig

Brian Kendig
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    A few years ago I purchased a set of five small Cambridge Soundworks speakers. They came with a small subwoofer which the instructions told me to wire together with the front right/left speakers to provide a little extra bass.

Later I purchased a subwoofer, which has its own connection to the receiver. So now I'm wondering... is that small woofer, wired in with the right/left speakers, really necessary? I'm guessing it still is, that it captures midrange sounds too high for the sub but too low for the small speakers, but I wanted to get some opinions from people who are familiar with this sort of thing.

2. Grif

Grif

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Personally I'd keep it, but wire it into the centre.... if its mainly for movies.

3. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    You could remove the old subwoofer and set all your speakers to SMALL, thus sending the low(er) frequencies to the subwoofer that is directly connected to the Av amp/receiver.
    Or just leave your "midrange" woofer where it is, depending on your preference.