1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do I really need DVD RW?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by cube, Nov 14, 2004.

1. cube

cube

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Im looking at getting a DVD recorder and the model im intrested in supports dvd Ram but not dvd RW, if it has dvd Ram is there any point in RW anyway? what would i be missing out on?
    Also, with dvd RW and dvd R discs can you record a program and then record another program later on to it or dose the disc need to be finalised in someway after one recording to allow it to be watched?
    Any help greatly appricated.
    Cube

2. kenfowler3966

kenfowler3966

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    You need to finalise an RW or R media to see it on another machine, however you can of course erase an RW and use it again. You can erase individual programs on a -R, but do not recover any disc space.

If you can possibly afford it buy one with a hard drive as you will soon come to regret it later if you don't. You virtually don't need any -ram or -rw media if you have the hard drive, and with -R at down to about 30p a disc now there is no real reason to save to rewritable media. With the hard drive you can easily get an advert free editied copy of whatever you want to keep on -R, this is very difficult without the hard drive, except by resorting to computer editing ar playback in another machine and editing using the crude pause button technique, which is irreversible if you are a few seconds out.

3. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,261
    Agreed. As CD-R has become the dominant over CD-RW so to is DVD-R over it's rewriteable competition. Obviously for transferring to a PC or temporary storage re-writeable disks (DVD-RAM or DvD-RW) have their place - but in 99% of cases users will use DVD-R instead.

In my experience the major users to complain about a lack of 'compatible' re-writeable DVDRs on set-top recorders are people who haven't actually brought one yet.

4. phelings

phelings
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You can do fancy editing on RAM and -RW(VR),of which neither play elsewhere.-RW has a compatible video mode with no editing but allows playback on other players and games consoles.
    A HDD machine allows all the editing to be done before transfer to dvd.
    If you have -RW you don't need RAM,rather than the reverse

5. jopereira

jopereira
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Money wise, I can afford to buy +/-R disc every time I need to record anything... but... I hate wasting! If I can have a disc that may be record hundreds of times, why should I buy hundred of discs instead?

That's valid IF I want to share something to a friend or relative, not if I want to keep a title. I think I can live with.... 5 +/-RW ? That's lot of money! :D

If there no need to share (SHAME ON YOU! :lesson: ) you won't need RW...

6. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,851
    I'm using RAM as an extra backup copy for important recordings that I've transferred from VHS. I also use it for recording from Sky in the bedroom (on an E55) and then I can view it on the E85 in the lounge if I want.