Do I really need a subwoofer...?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by buddy13, Jan 12, 2012.

1. buddy13

buddy13
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have got this new setup 2 weeks ago:

- Yamaha 671 7.1ch A/V receiver
    - Wharfedale Diamond 10.6 fronts
    - Wharfedale Diamond 10CM center
    - Wharfedale Diamond DFS surrounds

I use it for 30% music, 20% PS3 and 50% movies. I listen to music in pure direct mode for CD's (2ch. stereo) and enchanced for ipod. The sound is impressive and the bass is very clear and articualte. I have the fronts bi-amped...

I am thinking of adding either an:

- SW150 subwoofer
    OR
    - Dia10 MX sub

But a few thoughts cross my mind.

Would the woofer driver on the 10.6 fronts would just be unused (as at 100Hz it passes on to the mid/bass)? I would hate to have 2 perfectly good 165mm drivers unused...if so would it make sense to change the crossovers on the diamond 10.6 to make them work more in the high-lows and mids frequenices? I have an electrical engineer friend who could certainly come up with a good quality circuit for me...

Bass is plenty strong enough so I do not want more punch..would the subwoofer offer more extension to the lower frequencies rather than sheer volume or it would just be a waste of money?

Which sub would you choose from those two? Thanks!

Last edited: Jan 12, 2012
  2. scottthehat

scottthehat
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,799
    a sub will for sure add extesion to the bass lower down, is there no where you can go try some to see what you think, as for the subs cant help, one things for sure i would never go without a sub again.

3. PSM1

PSM1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,404
    As above a sub will add more extension but will also clear up the mids on your current speakers since you will be taking some of the heavy load of the 10.6s. Also, even thought he crossover is 100Hz it will not be a sharp cut off so you will still have some over 100Hz being played from the bass drivers. Also you will be setting the crossover in the amp at around 80Hz so again it will have this to play (again not a hard cutoff so will still get some sub 80Hz signal).

4. 961

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +666
    To answer the question directly, no, you don't

If you're after the very best bass and want to make the air in the room throb then a sub may be a worthwhile addition

But for day to day I'd say you get so very close with your own set up that I wonder just how often you'd worry about the difference

For much of the time in this house the actual volume at which sound is played makes the difference negligible

It's only when we sit down to watch blu ray concert music or movies that we bother to actually turn on the sub

5. paulrw

paulrw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +93
    agreed, only really use on movies which have a specific lfe or .1 track for the sub. i would'nt be without it. Take a look at BK subs, very popular on here

6. 961

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +666
    Yes, agree with that

We have a BK at a fraction of the cost (and all the quality and performance) of other makes

It's just that it is an add on luxury as you suggest

7. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    I bought my first subwoofer about 16 years ago and it made a hell of a difference in terms of dynamics and extension despite the fact that my main speakers at the time were big Tannoy floorstanders

8. andyvvc

andyvvc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    SuperFi still sell the Wharf SW150...i bought one last year. Think its £149. Its in the corner of my setup next to two walls...its never on more than half volume...its effective! Even with my 10.7s i can tell when the woofer is on...with the 10.7s the bass rolls off later than it did with the 10.3s.

In fact, i think i need to lower the crossover freq to maybe 70Hz. Despite this, the woofer still has its place :cool:

The larger Diamond 10 250 has more oomph and a lower Hz rating iirc. I guess it depends "how low you wanna go" :laugh:

The BK models are what most suggest - but they cost a lot more than a cheap SW150.

9. PSM1

PSM1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,404
    The SW150 has gone up a bit and is now £179 from Superfi. My brother in law bought one just after Christmas and it is good for the money.

10. Scotty Pro

Scotty Pro

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +132
    Can you not scrounge a lend of a one from a mate, just to see what the difference is.
    TBH, if you are listening to films with lots of bass in the sound effects ie: Transformers I think you might be surprised at the wallop they kick out.

11. Scotty Pro

Scotty Pro

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +132
    Back down to £169 now, its actually the same price as the 10-MX which in theory should be the better sub.

12. swiftpete

swiftpete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,022
    It's not just about the wallop and increasing the amount of bass. It's about taking the strain off the mains so they can get on with reproducing the rest of the soundtrack with higher quality. With those speakers, I'd probably cross over at 60hz. The woofers will still get some action then so you can relax!
    Plus, even those 10.6s, although large, cannot reproduce the very lowest frequencies, so without a sub, you're missing out on some of the soundtrack.
    You need one!

13. Goldenbone

Goldenbone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Everyone needs a sub - pretty much. Even if it's just for light duties, surround sound setups are way better with a sub taking the strain at the low end