• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Do I really need a Sonos?? What about the Yamaha RX-V765?

Soundless

Established Member
I was in Richer Sounds today and I also spoke to an independent installer and they both want to sell me a Sonos, but I don't get it.

I'm creating an open living/dining/kitchen with an external patio. I have loads of music and video on PCs and will install a new TV with (probably) 5.1 sound.

I need to be able to listen to music in Kitchen and dining room - approx 6M x 5.5M space. I was going to center a pair of speakers in this space. I was also going to installa pair of external waterproof speakers outside on the patio. The final speakers will be for the 5.1 surround sound in the living area - 3.5M x 4M.

Can I "zone" the audio with an Amp like the Yamaha RX-V765? I'd like to be able to output music to the kitchen and/or patio area in seperate zones and if I could be able to listen to music on the patio whilst someone watches TV in the living area?

Is the Yamaha a reasonable solution and will it deliver what I want?

I'm still struggling a little with the AV technology, so apologosies for the simplistic questions.:lease:

davepuma

Distinguished Member
In a word, no. You can only connect one speaker to each terminal and as you want 3 independent zones, it wouldn't do exactly what you want. What I would suggest is buying a stereo amp with A/B speaker switching. This would connect to the zone 2 pre-out. The stereo amp would drive your zone 2 (kitchen via speaker A) and zone 3 (patio via speaker B) and obviously the receiver would drive zone 1 (5.1). BTW zone 2 would need to use an analogue source, so your PC's soundcard would need to be connected via an analogue cable, not spdif.

Soundless

Established Member
Dave

Thanks for the quick reply - pity it is the wrong answer :laugh:

So I guess it is back to the drawing board. I want to keep the total system easy to use. Could I use something really crude like a t-switch to engage/disengage the patio speakers. Realistically, I'll probably only use the patio speakers 10 times a year.

The PC I'm considering is the HP Touchsmart, which has "rear audio line out port, rear digital audio out port".

Any suggestions for an appropriate device to meet my requirements??

Thanks

SL

Soundless

Established Member
If I have this correct, I am going to need a RX-V2065 or similiar in order to deliver the 3 zones I need. Is my thinking correct?

Appreciate any help

SL

davepuma

Distinguished Member
Yes, you can assign the front presence and rear surround channels on the RX-V2065 to zone 2 and 3. The RX-V2065 also has network functionality, so providing your music is ripped in the right format and compatible with the receiver, you could stream the music direct. You can download the manual from the Yamaha UK site which will explain how you assign the internal amps to zone 2/3 and also how the network functions work.

hornydragon

Distinguished Member
Sonos is easy to use and install its the obvious choice, using an AVR can and does work, but its faffy and to make it easy to use requires expensive control options similar to the Yamaha mentioned is the new TXNR808 from Onkyo again network audio and multiple zones the issue again is control (which can cost as much as the sonos system, you need to look at all of your requirements together not as individuals if you want TV/Video/Cinema + music + lighting all in an easy to control system then the total solution may be quite different to the sum of the parts (if you get my drift, and yes i am stalking you)

:hiya:

fuzzybk

Established Member
I just picked up a Sonos bundle and love it. Currently running 4 zones. The HT room, master bedroom, basement and the portable (which is always used in the backyard).

So easy to set up and run. Fantastic product.

Soundless

Established Member
The RXV765 doesn't support multi zone video either and is limited to analogue audio for its additional zone(s).

Dante,

I've been off on Bank Holiday here in Northern Ireland, so just back online again.

I've also been considering 2nd hand amps, maybe 2 or 3 year old medium to high end amp.

I don't need multi zone video, so that's not an issue but what does analogue input mean to the amp? Can I stream music to the amp via an ethernet port and output to zones 2/3?

The PC I want to drive music from offers "rear audio line out port". What type of cable does this present and can I run it 10 meters?
:lease:

SL

The latest video from AVForums

CES 2023 Round Up: New TV Lineups for 2023 from LG, Samsung, Panasonic, Hisense & TCL
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom