Quantcast

Do I really need a separate audio MPEG encoder?

C

cmulder

I was looking at this guide on creating high quality DVDs:

http://dvd-hq.info/Compression.html

It is actually a very good article on using TMPGEnc, but recommends using another program to encode audio. Specifically, iit says:

There are two reasons not to encode the audio in TMPGEnc:

The first is the fact that MPEG audio is not standard on all DVD players. Although it is supported by all PAL players (and many recent NTSC models), some authoring programs still refuse to add MPEG audio directly to their projects, and will instead convert it to PCM (uncompressed). Since MPEG audio uses lossy compression, the quality that was lost in the compression is not recovered. By contrast, the space that was saved by the compression is lost again. So, using MPEG audio in these programs is a lose-lose situation. The only two formats guaranteed to be compatible with all players are PCM and AC3.

The second reason is the fact that there are several MPEG audio encoders that produce better quality than TMPGEnc. So even if your authoring program does support MPEG audio, and if you're sure the resulting discs will only be played on DVD players that support MPEG audio, you should still use TMPGEnc only for the video, and encode the audio in a separate application (if you do a quick search on the web for "MPEG audio encoding" you should be able to find several guides about the subject).
With regard to the 2nd paragraph, what MPEG audio encoding software do you recommend?

M

Member 34135

I think it depends what quality you are looking for, if its home movies from a camcorder then I wouldn't worry. If you're in the professional market then you might want something better.

Andy.

Top Bottom