do i really need a phone line to get sky+??

LLcoolDave

Established Member
Reaction score
hi everyone
im thinking of getting sky+ fitted. i got a home cinema set up,but no recording unit. i take it that the sky+ is a good idea???
anyway, ive been told i gotta have a phone line fitted to get it installed?? is this for the unit to talkback (i take it thats what the red button function does?) we dont have a landline and use just mobiles. i have telewest broadband internet so a phone line will only cost another tenner a month, but its added expense.
also, i have a plasma that has a s-vid link from my amp. is sky the best picture/sound combo available at the moment?
cheers

If you can get it and fit it yourself , then no you don't need a phone line . If sky fit it you do
John

i could fit it myself, i do have a friend that installs for sky. what do i do, do i buy the dish and box from from sky and can i still use my "red button"!

my understanding is that you need a phone line in order to register the unit. Once thats done you can cancel the phone line....

So take out a telewest phone for 1 month, costs 10quid then cancel it after sky is installed.

hopefully someone else can back me up on this.

If the system is supplied or fitted by Sky it must be connected to an active telephone line for a minimum of 12 months.

thats what they say.... doesnt mean you have to do it that way though...

reality is when I've had sky and sky+ installed the guy turns up, fits it, sets it up, connects the phone line, registers it, leaves, then I unplug it from the phone line...

with the phone line you cant order movies and other pay per view stuff but the sky itself works fine, no problems and they cant tell if its plugged in to the phone or not...

and they cant tell if its plugged in to the phone or not...
Yes they can. They can send a signal to an individual card and get it to do a callback. If it doesn.t get through on the third try the letters stating you are in breach of the terms and conditions start arriving.

Yes they do check that a phone line is installed. When my phone line suddenly started withholding the number when it dialled out via the Sky boxes I got a letter to say it wasn't connected.

People - I had a similiar thread running for this exact situation. Sky's deal is purely a commercial one, if you buy through them you need a landline for 12 months (whether or not they check I don't know but they never did with my normal Sky box & I unplugged it as soon as the front door was shut). The answer is to buy a digi box & Quad LND on the net (£159 + £39) & wait for a Sky installer to drive past your house. Offer him £50 to install on the side (or do yourself) & all you need to do is call Sky & say you've fitted it yourself - please upgrade me to Sky+. The phone line issue is apparently irrelevant when not purchasing through Sky.

ps. Sky installers will do this, I had a Magic Eye thing installed 9B4 they were available in Shops), he came round, phoned up Sky to cancel the job, got me an £85 refund & did it for £50 cash.....

ps. No Telephone company will allow you to take out a month contract. Someone suggested Telewest for a tenner & then cancel after a month. Here's Telewests Terms & Conditions (they're the same as everyone elses);

General
Customers are required to commit to a minimum period of 12 months in respect of each service (e.g. a phone line, a cable television package or blueyonder broadband internet). An initial payment of £50 is payable in advance, by credit or debit card only for new customers.

Desticado said:
my understanding is that you need a phone line in order to register the unit. Once thats done you can cancel the phone line....

So take out a telewest phone for 1 month, costs 10quid then cancel it after sky is installed.

hopefully someone else can back me up on this.

Keep hoping ! None of this is true.

Desticado said:
.....and they cant tell if its plugged in to the phone or not...

Are you making this up as you go along ? As another poster has already confirmed, Sky can order your box via the satellite to "phone home" any time they like. The contract you sign with Sky is legally binding, and if you can't abide to the conditions, don't sign it.

Hey

Just to add to the confusion.

1. Sky can and do check if a telephone line is/is not connected to your Sky+ unit.

2. I've read else where that the Sky+ contract obliges you to have the unit connected to the telephone line wether you buy it privately or through Sky - don't know how true that is but thought it would cloud the issue a bit more.

Nathan

nathanhill69 said:
2. I've read else where that the Sky+ contract obliges you to have the unit connected to the telephone line wether you buy it privately or through Sky - don't know how true that is but thought it would cloud the issue a bit more.

Nathan

The wording of the contract is (or at least was) a bit vague but basically if SKY (or it's agents) supply and fit the SKY+ system then the phone line is a contractual obligation. There is also a clause which allows SKY to collect viewing data:)
If you supply and install your own SKY+ (or pay an independent to do it) then you are not obliged to connnect it to the phone line.

SKY have never really policed the phone connections of the standard digibox subsidised installations nor have I read evidence that they are hot on the trail of SKY+ installs. However multiroom systems are checked on a regular basis and SKY do enforce the phone requirments due to the security issues and potential revenue loss.

However multiroom systems are checked on a regular basis and SKY do enforce the phone requirments due to the security issues and potential revenue loss.
That rings true (pardon the pun!) as I used my old normal Sky box in a 2nd room, therefore they checked up on me.

ANY install ordered through or installed by Sky is checked. Single box installs are checked on an irregular basis, but ALWAYS within the first 7 days after the card is first initialised. You pays your money, and you takes your chance.
If the box does not make the callback when requested by Sky , if the system was installed or ordered through them, then you are in breach of contract and liable to pay the full amount, currently around £230.00

thanks for the reply guys
so basically, just pay to have a phoneline! it will be worth it, the picture quality and sound is terrible through the terrestrial arial and have to make a move on what type of source i use for tv.
it does strike me as amazing in the age of digital that i have to have a phone line for the communication of this box, but hey sky and bt have a contract i suppose!!
thanks for the advice people, have a virtual pint on me!!

Uee VOIP,
Buy a hardware voip device from linksys, draytek
look at www.voiptalk.org
Can get a regional number of non geographic number
I checked with Sky if i could use my voip line. Reply below

Perhaps the next gen sky boxes will allow you to connect a mobile and use GPRS ot tri location to establish if the box is where it should be.!

"Dear xxxxxx

Thank you for your email concerning telephone providers.

I can confirm that you do not need a specific telephone provider to subscribe to Sky digital services.

Should you require any further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact our customer service team on 08702 40 40 40. Alternatively please contact the above email address.

Kind regards

Sharon Mitchell

Customer Administration

-----Original Message-----
Sent: 08 April, 2005 12:22 PM
To: [email protected]
Subject: Telephone line to use

I have no BT landline in my house.

I use Voip over broadband, number 08700xxxxx , it works with my fax and modems.

Can I use this number to subscribe to Sky+. This number is classed as a UK National number.
"

that gives me something to think about, once i have bought the hardware what would be my costs, do you rent a number??

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom