Do I really need a Monolith?

Abyssandrew

I have been toying with the idea of getting a sub for my home cinema system. I am moving house to live with 3 other friends, so it has now become somewhat more practical.

I currently have Mordaunt Short 914 floorstanders powered by a Cambridge Audio 640A V2 Amplifier, which is used for stereo (music) and surround sound (films). My Marantz sr4300 AV receiver pre-outs to the 914s, and also powers a 905C, and a pair of 903S surround speakers.

My question is, will the BK XLS200 be enough, or do I really need to stretch to a Monolith.

The room size will either be my bedroom (3.6 x 3.05 m) or the living room (5.8 x 3.7m), dependant on where the setup ends up being put.
I can afford an XLS200 easily, but may struggle to find the extra cash (alongside moving) in order to afford the Monolith. However the last thing I want to do is spend nearly £300 on the XLS200, only to realise I need to sell it and buy a Monolith.

Finally, I understand that neither of these subs come with separate input controls (for low/high). I am mainly buying the sub for films, but would like to be able to selectively use the sub for music aswell (e.g. when listening to dance music etc before going on a night out). Is this likely to cause many problems?

Thanks, Andrew.

bob1

Go for the Monolith, you will only be wandering in a few months if you bought the wrong sub , as for the inputs both models have high and low inputs .

russraff

Go for the Monolith, you will only be wandering in a few months if you bought the wrong sub , as for the inputs both models have high and low inputs .

Quite - I went for the monolith for this very reason. BK Electronics also allow simultaneous input of both high and low inputs, which many manufacturers will not allow.

Jammyb

Hi, I've been wondering something similar as I'm torn between these 2 models.

It seems anytime someone asks something like this people always say "Go for the big sub muhahahahah!!" but in real world situations (not all of us have soundproof media rooms) will I be rushing over to turn it down every time there's an explosion on screen.

I can easily imagine Abyssandrew's flatmates coming angrily down the stairs because the sub sonic depths plumbed by this 12" beast are going through the walls like a knife through butter (or the neighbours for that matter). Is it possible a smaller 10" sub would be more practical. Or is any sub of this kind going to have the same effect?

K

Kerowack

Haha, I recognize that, the people on this forum are real bass junkies! I remember I was in doubt between the XLS and the Gemini, but I'm quit happy I chose the latter. I live in a small student dorm and I can't even turn my sub to the fullest without people coming at my door, threatening me to give the landlord a call. I do have to say this house is really crappy and the walls are made of cardboard. So ask yourself the question how loud you (dare to) play.

I don't know if a Monolith will disturb the neighbours more cause it goes lower, or how it sounds when its turned down. I'm sure others do.

Ian J

Banned
Jammyb said:
Is it possible a smaller 10" sub would be more practical. Or is any sub of this kind going to have the same effect?

The XLS200 doesn't go anywhere near as low as the Monolith and is generally a more practical solutions where neighbours have to be considered

Crustyloafer

Distinguished Member
russraff said:
Quite - I went for the monolith for this very reason. BK Electronics also allow simultaneous input of both high and low inputs, which many manufacturers will not allow.

However, it does not offer the ability to bypass the crossover on the low level input whilst simultaneously remaining active on the high level input, this is crucial for proper integration into a Hi-Fi system and home cinema system at the same time.

Abyssandrew

I've come to the conclusion that the system for the living room will be home cinema only. I will use one of my housemates Mordaunt SHort 902s at the fronts, powered directly off the AV receiver.

This then means I can use the 914s and the Camridge Audio kit in my bedroom.

This means that being able to independantly control the cross-overs is less of an issue now. However, if in the future I did wish to use it for both film and music, would it not be possible for me to bypass the crossover entirely, then manufacture a cross-over for the high level inputs?

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom