1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do I really need a 3803?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Bursar, Aug 21, 2003.

1. Bursar

Bursar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +216
    I'm going to be taking a trip to Creative Audio in a few weeks, and am still in two (or 3) minds about what to buy. The room I'm going to be setting the stuff up in is relatively small, so maximum speaker output isn't a concern. My ears will start bleeding before I get near max volume. As long as I'm in this house, I can't see myself moving beyond a 5.1 setup due to space constraints.

Initially I'll be hooking up a DVD player and Z1 projector as my input/output sources. Shortly after that I'll be fiddling with a spare PC and using that as well. With relaticely few video sources, I should be able to wire stuff directly into the projector, so I don't really need to use the receiver for video switching (but it could make wiring a little easier).

My initial thoughts were for the 1803 and KEF 2005.2 bundle. The 1803 seems to do pretty much everything I need.

Then there's the 3803. Main benefits I can see are lip synching and video up converting. Undoutedly it also has better electronics in it, which will improve the sound.

And finally, someone has just pointed me at the Pioneer 2011. Apparently it's a top notch piece of kit selling for loads below its true value. It comes in at about the same price as the 3803, and has a couple of different features. No lip-synch, but it has auto-setup. Not sure if it does video up conversion.

So there we have it. I think the 1803 will do me fine, but the 3803 and 2011 have a few extra features that might be handy. Are they worth the extra £500 though?

Is lip-synch likely to be a problem when connecting a DVD player directly to a projector? Would it become a problem if I ran the video through the receiver first?

I am a little price sensitive (aren't we all?), and the extra £500 would go halfway towards buying the Z1.

Thoughts and opinions are welcome :)

2. Dimmy

Dimmy
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've tested the AVR1803 with the Kef Eggs and they suited eachother very well indeed...

They did lose a little composure at the very top end of the volume scale (this is maxed out)...

Unless you have problems with Lip Sync when you get your equipment I'd stick with the AVR1803, if you do have problems I'm sure if you speak to Cambridge Audio they'll be more than happy to change your AVR1803 for an AVR3803