Do I need Vista?

Discussion in 'PC Gaming & Rigs' started by gargoyle, Mar 24, 2006.

1. gargoyle

gargoyle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    My primary pc is used mainly for games , it uses w2000 pro, has 1.5 gig of memory, AMD 3200 cpu and a 7800 gs gfx card, it works superbly with fear, far cry, battlefield 2, all played at 1600x1200 and with AA & AS enabled.

From what I gather, Microsofts Vista will require over two gigs of ram to play the above titles (source - the inquirer) and theres a chance that I may have to upgrade my cpu so it begs the question - in order to play the same games on vista that I currently play on w2k, I'll have to throw more money at my pc - so, given that I,m completely happy with my current setup, what would I be getting for the extra expense that vista will entail?

2. Tigerblade

Tigerblade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +590
    Unlikely you'll need to upgrade ur cpu.....just oc it. The graphics front looks fine, and u only need to add 512mb of memory, won't be that expensive really.

Having said that, it looks like Vista has been delayed till early 2007 and I think it's being hyped up way too much anyway.

Your pc is fine mate. If anything just oc your cpu if your not happy with it.

3. sbowler

sbowler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +481
    2Gig of ram,:eek: how many sub £1000 pc use that? not many. I only have 768mb and quite happy with it, although dont play many games. I heard that microsoft were to stop updates to XP home when vista launches. It seems like they are putting pressure on consumers to upgrade needlessly.

4. semiskimmed

semiskimmed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +259
    in a word, no you dont need vista. i dont have any plans on jumping on the vista wagon. well not until XP isnt supported OR the games i want to play wont work with xp. either way, itll be a while

5. booyaka

booyaka

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,578
    agreed - no chance i'l jump ship "just for the sake of it"

Vista is a long way off - realistically a year before it starts to take off so add another 6 months before SP1 & SP2 are released for it and it will be 18 months - 2 years before it will become the norm.

As Semi said - until games/ software is not supported by xp then i will stick with that!

6. Tigerblade

Tigerblade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +590
  7. pez

pez

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Microsoft have forced Bungie to make Halo 2 for the PC a Vista Only game.

I think ill be sticking with XP for a while too.

pez

8. gargoyle

gargoyle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    The gist of my question is that vista requires much more ram and'll occupy a much bigger chunk of your hard drive space than either w2k or xp so what am I getting for all this? a speedier os? a prettier interface? a true multimedia platform?
    As far as I'm concerned, a good anology would be to compare it to a beefed up performance sports car with massive spoilers, beefed up engine and the latest gadgets and electronic wizardry but with the same performance as its predecessor!

9. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,149
    Well you'll only get DX10 support with Vista - even though it'll probably be while before it's widely supported.

10. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,399
    But the question is does anyone really care about an elderly FPS that looks quite dated now? Maybe if they build it up with Halo 3 elements but I doubt that somehow.

I wouldn't worry to much about upgrading to Vista. For the lifespan of your current specs it will be a non-issue. It's still 10 odd months away yet and even when it does arrive there will be a period when it's better to remain with XP due to the lack of Vista drivers/compatibility issues. I intend to upgrade my PC in March/April 07 - that way Vista will have been out a few months and the initial problems should be sorted.

11. semiskimmed

semiskimmed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +259
    dont forget you will also need DX10 hardware (graphics card etc)

and i quite agree with the halo2 point, its pathetic to use that as some marketing ploy. you could get a xbox for it for alot less than the dx10 gfx cards will cost

12. Sarah Nya

Sarah Nya

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I agree thats not really fair at all >,<

I'm still going to get it though for the new PC at least (looks like we don't have a choice!), XP can remain on my existing computer for the time being.

I read that Vista won't use as much of the system resources because it actually uses the graphics card to power all the bells and whistles which previous versions never did, is this correct?

13. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,149
    Very true, that's why I will not be upgrading until Vista is here and everything has bedded down smoothly.Very true, that's why I will not be upgrading until Vista is here and everything has bedded down smoothly.

14. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,399
    I'm interested in this to - and how Vista further ships out work to the GPU. I've heard reports of Graphics Cards being used to encode video - by all accounts very effectively. As I do a fair amount of DVD archiving from TV I can see a real benefit in doing this.

15. apolloa

apolloa

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,350
    Yes, but the word is that microsoft has sold out to the American film and music biz and Vista will be encrypting everything left right and centre, if you wanna watch hi-def and one component doesn't support it then Vista will refuse to decode the signal so no hi-def. I would advise EVERYONE thinking of getting Vista to wait at least 2 months after it's launch in there own country so they can see what it's drawbacks and plusses are. And lets not forget that the UK government has requested a backdoor hole for it's securoty services in all versions of Vista to be sold in the uK, great for them to spy and even better for hackers to exploit Vista the same as XP. Watch and wait is all I'll say.

16. pez

pez

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    id recommend a full years wait between vistas release and anyone thinking of purchasing it.

the guys who get it before then will be in essence the last stage beta testers.

thats how its always been.

ive also heard that XP will be tighter than the gnats proverbial, so if you value your current ability to burn and use non DRMed mp3s and videos, you may be better served by sticking with XP.

pez

17. Pebb

Pebb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +829
    Anyone planning to buy Vista needs a 64bit CPU.

18. Miyazaki

Miyazaki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +850
    Says who?

MS wouldn't shoot themselves in the foot, surely?

When will someone develop a linux kernel that doesn't require a Ph.D in nerdology to operate?

19. Pebb

Pebb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +829
    Reason is because Vista will be able to run more memory in the background, that is one reason for 64bit. And 2 Vista is meant to help games out, and the way its doing that is 64bit games.

And DX10 simple.

20. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,149
    Just saw the Crysis technical demo, a great advert for DX10 technology. I'm sold - I wonder even if the 360 can get close to that!? :eek:

21. Tigerblade

Tigerblade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +590
    Unlikley with it being dx9 ;)

22. apolloa

apolloa

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,350
    You'll be able to run VISTA just fine on 32 BIT CPU's. As with regards to gaming i think you'll find that multi core/ CPU support will be more beneficial then 64 BITS as most dual core/ CPU machines sold these day's are 64 BIT anyway.

23. Pezerinno

Pezerinno

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +69
    OCZ are bringing out 2gb modules for vista (i.e 4GBDDR/DDRII) I'm not convinced you'll need anymore than a gig though, I turn all the pretty stuff off in xp and I'd imagine you'll be able to do the same in vista. I'll buy vista when SP1 is released, mainly for DX10 & 64bit support.

24. danvitale

danvitale

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +114
    I'll be getting Vista the moment it comes out, mainly due to its media center capabilities.