1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

do i need tuner box

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by brackenlamb, Nov 5, 2003.

1. brackenlamb

brackenlamb
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi i have heard a lot of people say ,dont bother with a tuner box.
    i have recnetly bought a thomson 42wb02s plasma screen,complete with tuner box
    i have sky + a sony davs800 and sharp video recorder.

So if i never had a tuner box where would i plug this lot in to .?

thanksfor the info

2. redsox_mark

redsox_mark

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +621
    I can't find anything in English about the thomson 42wb02s so I can't comment on that screen.

Some screens (e.g. the Panasonic P6) support a number of inputs directly to the screen. Even if just one input (e.g. component input) you can use a component switch/amp to connect everything. The Panasonic also offers a separate tuner, so here you have a choice.

Other systems (true for the Sony MR1 series) you need to have the tuner with the system, as there is no other way to connect to it.

Mark

3. /\/\j17

/\/\j17
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Technically you have 3 tuner boxes - The one that came with your plasma, the one built in to the SKy + box and the one built in to your VCR.

It depends what connections you have on the back of your plasma, but in general you can just pick one and daisy chain everything through that.

On my Pio 433MXE I have everything running RGB and then GameCube->Sky box->RGBtoVGA converter->Plasma VGA input. If I wanted my VCR on there, I could either get a VGA switch box, or daisy chain the Cube->VCR->Sky->...

I don't know if anyone DOES do this, but there is no reason why a manufacturer couldn't make a bespoke connection on the back of their plasma so you HAVE to use their tuner, but the only people likely to do that would be B&O and others who's customers are too rich and stupid to know better.