1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do I need to worry about my new ae200??

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by nero0410, May 14, 2004.

1. nero0410

nero0410
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,434
    Do I need to worry about my new ae200??:rolleyes:

I have had my panny ae200 for about a week now.

I have 24 hours on the clock in low power mode, and I have a faint green tinge about half a pixel wide all the way down the right hand side from top to bottom.

I have tried making the image smaller but still get the same thing. It is only really noticable on a light/bright or white image, and, I can only see it on a dark image if I go right up to the screen.

I really want to avoid sending it back as everything else about it is fine, I only have one dead bright green pixel in the right hand corner of the image, which I barely notice. I dont fancy sending it back just in case it comes back worse.

Do I have concern to worry about this half a pixel wide tinge?? Is it likely to get bigger?? Or will it be ok or even go away??

This is my first projector, so im not too sure as to what I should do to resolve this problem.

I run my dvd player through a composite video rca home cinema lead, so would a s-video or running it through scart make any difference??

I am very concerned about this :rolleyes: :confused:

:lease: help

tris

2. thfccambs

thfccambs
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,255
    nero0410

I would send it back.

Have you tried using your dvd player with a scart lead?I run my sky+ to my panny ae200 using scart and component using my dvd player.
    You could try using scart and if that doesn't change then send it back.Did who you brought it off give it a dead pixel test?

hope you get it sorted m8.

3. G a f f e r

G a f f e r

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +491
    Where did you buy it from?
    You should be able to send it back as green pixels are a no-no.
    then again, sounds like a different (but equally serious) defect than a column of dead pixels.
    Send it back - after all, you wouldn't settle for a TV like that would you?

4. theritz

theritz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    tris,

Chill out - this is very common with LCD projectors - it's just very a slight panel alignment issue. Very often the three lcd panels are not aligned 100%, leading to part (or all) of a row of pixels showing on one or other side, or on the top or biottom of the image. I have a slight mis-alignment on mine (which will be 2 years old this August) and I have seen varying degrees of mi-alignment on other projectors.

If you really want to send it back to Panasonic to get the alignment sorted out, then that's your choice; if it was me and it had no dead pixels, I'd be happy to keep it that way without having it messed with unnecessarily.

Sean G.

5. nero0410

nero0410
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,434
    cheers guys, If it is just a miss alignment I would prefer not to send it back. I can only see the line on a light/white image they dont really show in the dark, and, as for the green dead pixel it's right in the bottom right hand corner so that doesnt really bother me.

I was just wondering if this tinge would start to move across the screen until eventually I had a completely greenish image, as that would be unbearable.

I honestly dont want to send it back if at all possible because it may come back worse, and have more dead pixels than just one when I get it back again.

Other than that the image is just fine, it still blows me away.

Further comments are still welcome and appriciated.

Theritz------I beleive it was you that has helped me the most through using these forums right from the start, before I even got the projector. I think it was you who answered all my first questons, thanks for all your time and effort mate.

Thanks again to all of you.

tris

6. Chibouk

Chibouk
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    I've just bought an AE200 too and I've studied mine all over to make sure there're no dead pixels or other things that shouldn't be there. Fortunately everything looks fine on mine, but I can understand your concern nero0140

If it was me I'd send it back, as I couldn't stand buying something that wasn't right. If it's only a week old would they fix it, or would they replace it? Surely they should replace faulty goods? :confused:

7. Ekko Star

Ekko Star

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +399
    If I was you, I would send it back. If it's bugging you now it'll probably annoy you more further down the line.

You will probably get a new replacment as it's so new. Odds on new one will be better than the one you got, cos most Panasonics are usually ok out the box.;)

8. stuthemong

stuthemong

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    as the ritz said, all LCD projectors have 3 seperate panels, red, green, and blue, they then have to combine them all to make the picture.

If your red and blue are aligned, and your green is slightly to the right, then youll see a green line down the right side, and a reddish line down the left side. I had this with my PTAE100 - you can get rid of it by masking around the edges of the projection screen with black out material, but you still may be able to see it in the main image.

It wont get worse, it will stay exactly where it is. If it is very distracting, by all means try to get it re-calibrated. If it is only a worry as you fear it may get worse, seriously dont worry, it will stay exactly where it is.

I have never seen a lCD proj before that is spot on, though definitely the cheaper panasonics (ae100/200) are slightly worse than say a more expensive projector.

Hope that chillaxes you !

9. theritz

theritz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    tris,

You're very welcome. While there is conflicting opinion here as to whether you should swap it out or not, I stand by my advice in general about misalignment. I wasn't aware that you had a dead pixel as well, which would probably drive me nuts...........
    :(

You need to make you're own decision on this issue. If you return it, they may adjust it to correct the misalignment - I don't think they (Panasonic) would swap it out for a different unit. Even of they did swap it you've no guarantee that it won't have alignment or other dead pixel issues...... no easy answer, really.

Sean G.

10. nero0410

nero0410
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,434
    Well I have noticed that there is a feint green line right round the left, right and the top, with a purple across the bottom.

I guess put up with it for the time being as i can only see them on a white or light image, and, I'll try some different connections too. I still have the full years warentee too.

thanks again

tris

11. Ekko Star

Ekko Star

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +399
    The longer you leave it the less likely Panasonic will want to replace it with a new one.

If you've had it for a week the shop you bought it from should probably replace it, otherwise it'll fall under Panasonics Business class guarantee, where they pick up and leave you a loan unit.

Personally I've had about 6 panasonic machines, none of them have exhibited any dead pixels or panel misalignment, maybe I was lucky.

On the other hand I have a HS20 and that is one pixel misaligned. In my experience the budget machine was better calibrated !

Personally the misalignment issue and one dead green pixel would not be acceptable. A replacement unit could hardly be much worse and will probably be better if you asked them to check it before they sent it to you ? For my money I would want a spot on unit. But it is your choice and as long as you are happy.

12. nero0410

nero0410
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,434
    Thanks for all the advice. I think I will hold on to it for the time being, I cant be witout it now.

The dead pixel is bright green, but, not that bright if you know what I mean. So the dead pixel isnt really much of an issue being right in the bottom corner.So I cant really notice it from where I sit.

The green lines are only round the left, right and top which I can only see on a light or white image.
    I can only see them on a dark image if I go right up to the screen. There is a slight purpleish line on the bottom with a green line, but after close examination the green lines on the bottom are two pixels wide for an example from the bottom up:

---------------------------------green
    ---------------------------------green
    ---------------------------------normal
    ---------------------------------purple

I dont really want to be without a projector though, I waited so long to get it.

The nearest service centre to me is Bristol ( about 25 mile ) but I have a panasonic shop here in town. I bought my projector from Techtronics, it arrived about 5 days after I ordered it thats through a weekend and a bank holiday pretty fast I think. I'll e-mail them, or ring them tommorow and see what they say. I'll e-mail panasonic too.

I like the idea of having a loan unit from panasonic, how would I go about that for future reference?? Im still a little worried about getting it replaced with a brand new unit, :rolleyes: as the panels on mine were likely to have gone out of line during delivery. So even if I did get a brand new unit, its still no gurantee that I would get one without any dead pixels(or more and in a more noticeable place), or any panal mis-alignments. As theritz said earlier.

There is nothing wrong with the main picture, that is fine and I can watch a film quite comfortably. I was just worried about those issues.

I have now tried s-video, which for some reason made the problem a little better. I am wondering if I have it set up correctly, I havent changed any of the default values of the picture and have them all on normal. This is my first projector so I dont know a lot about them yet.

Sorry to go on, but I'm still a little worried and concerned.

I have had 30 hours use out of it now for those interested, and other than my concerns it's running fine.

Sorry and thanks again

tris :rolleyes: :confused:

13. nero0410

nero0410
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,434
    Just a quick one, could it be possible that these lines are just the edge of the image projected?? and nothing to worry about?? :confused:

tris

14. thfccambs

thfccambs
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,255
    If your the slightest bit worried send it back,also when you come to upgrade the ae200(and once you got the bug you will) if it's got that dead pixel it will be harder to sell.
    Was it on zero hours when you recived it?im sure there is a thread somewhere about someone else reciving a ae200 that had been returned with dead pixels fromTechnotronics.
    good luck m8.

15. nero0410

nero0410
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,434
    ummm.....what bug is that then?? and yes it was on 0 hours when I got it, straight out of the box. I have since then got it up to about 30 hours.

I dought I would be planning on upgradeing very soon as I have only just got this one lol.

One draw back is that I suffer with anxeity so I tend to over worry about a lot of thigs regardless of how good or bad the situation is. It is hard to define when I am over worrying.

tris

16. thfccambs

thfccambs
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,255
    That's what i said when i brought my Tosh RPTV 2years ago.Now look what i own. :eek:

17. nero0410

nero0410
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,434
    :rolleyes: uh oh.....the other half just read that post with me :suicide: think i'll be heading for a slap soon.

:smashin: I'll get round her 'ow!!' :zonked:

tris

18. thfccambs

thfccambs
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,255
    www.thedvdforums.com
    Have a look here,looks like someone else might have the same problem.Do a search AE200.

19. nero0410

nero0410
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,434
    I wouldnt have minded reading that but it wont let me register due to my e-mail address :(

tris

20. Zone

Zone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,190
    Tris
    Try Wanadoo for free email :)

21. nero0410

nero0410
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,434
    cheers zone :thumbsup:

tris

22. nero0410

nero0410
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,434
    :clap: The green line problem about a pixel wide all the way up the right, across the top and down the left that I had. Also the purple line across the bottom. I couldnt find out what it could have been apart from slight panal misalignment, but, last night I used the keystone correction which eliminated the purple line and almost done the same to the green ones.

So at the moment it doesnt seem that bad at all. I am beginning to have the feeling that I'm still in need of learning new tips and tricks on setting the thing up.

thanks guys for all your help, time and effort. :smashin:

tris