1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do I need to warm my amp & speakers up?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Paulherb, Sep 15, 2002.

1. Paulherb

Paulherb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hi everyone,
    Just wondering if I should be warming my Amp & speakers up before serious use. i.e I like to listen to my films loud and I mean loud as this is is what I bought my kit for.

Sometimes I've had friends around the house who have wanted a demo of my set up and I have didn't have time to warm any thing up, just gave everything a good thrashing.

Any help would be most welcome!

Cheers

Paulh

2. kevb

kevb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    My amp always seems to sound better after about an hours use. I could be my imagination but thats the way it seems.

I would not have though just turning you amp on and playing full blast would be that good for your speakers. I always turn on at a lower volume then increase it to the required level.

3. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    My speakers are always warm as they are warmed up with Shrek and Toy Story 2 every day. Having read that constantly displaying logos can burn into the TV, my speakers will play Toy Story 2 on their own.

All electronics should be warmed to give of their best and leaving the amp on stand by should help. Blasting noise out on a cold amp won't harm it but it won't sound quite as good as it should.

4. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I reckon it takes about half an hour of medium to low level music to warm up my primary amp. On my lesser surround amp i really cant hear any difference whether it is warmed up or not.

ad

5. lungfish

lungfish
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Surely in standby mode everything will be powered off except the bits needed to detect input from the remote/front panel buttons/whatever? Not a lot of point having a standby mode otherwise... might as well just leave the thing turned on.

Certainly true that analog electronics will perform better once they've reached a stable operating temperature -- component characteristics will change as things warm up, more noise will probably be generated while this is going on as well.

People often recommend that computers and other electronics be left on all the time, because the thermal stress of power-cycling will shorten their life. I've never been entirely convinced by this (will mechanical parts like fans or disk drives wear out quicker from spinning continuously or being powered on once every day?). Computers usually get replaced long before thermal stress would have killed them anyway. On something like an amp though, with no moving parts, it probably does help. As long as you don't care about the increase in your power bill :)

6. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Is standby not meant so that you dont have to repeatedly do a full power up.....such switching is well known to be the most likely time for damage.

Certainly, my advice would be to leave power amps powered up, also anything tube based in the system definitely needs to be warm.

Ad

7. lungfish

lungfish
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I though standby just meant you didn't have to get up out of your chair to switch something on :) Some things obviously power off more than others when in standby (e.g. my cable digibox is still able to receive software updates etc. from ntl while it's in standby, but the TV seems to be entirely off, except that it will respond to the remote). I'm not sure what parts of an amp it would be worthwhile to leave running in 'standby' if it was anything other than a complete power-off.

8. leon

leon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +67
    i warm mine up 2 they sound abit better when i do this..

9. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I didnt realise amps could be put in standby.....any of my amps are either on or off. I think standby simply removes the switching, i dont think it keeps all of the important bits running. but, i may be wrong! Turn on your amp to standby.....see if it remains warm, sounds like a fairly simple test to me!

ad

10. lungfish

lungfish
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well I can't speak for any other models, but my SR5200 put into standby at around midnight last night (it had been running all day, so was nice and warm) was cold this morning.

Scott

11. Paulherb

Paulherb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Thanks for the advice Gents

Paulh.

12. MonkeyDonkey

MonkeyDonkey
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Yup my reciever is on standby all the time now (apart from when I'm using it) but its always cold.
    The reason I now leave it on standby is because the capaciter which used to act like a battery and store settings when fully off has now died, thus meaning I have to reset everything if I unplug it :(.
    I wonder if this had anything to do with me unplugging it every night ? and whether It would actually have been better had I used standby more often.

Again whether its psycological or not I don't know, but I often think it sounds better after about 30-60mins of use, the sounds seem to have more life, it could just be my ears adjusting to the loud sound though :confused:

13. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Standby is offered for a reason, which i guess is to avoid problems like monkeydonkey describes

Ad

ps where didthe name monkeydonkey come from!?

14. MonkeyDonkey

MonkeyDonkey
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I just have an unhealthy obsession with Monkeys and Donkeys :D .

Especially the ITV digital Monkey and Donkey from shrek.

Anyway its taught me to use standby features now!

15. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    and who said animal fetish was unhealthy! ;)

ad

16. Nobber22

Nobber22

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +109
    Easy Tiger! I'm dating a large dragon at present, but appreciate the attention anyway:blush:

17. mjn

mjn
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,542
    my rotel power amp, does not have a stand-by button.....and its a standard on-off power switch, hence no remote sensor, so no remote commands to turn on/off....so its on 100% of the time...

18. juboy

juboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Your amp should/might sound better when warm, so why not just leave it on? You are highly unlikely to harm it by doing so, unless it's faulty, so you don't have much to lose.

Speakers however don't benefit in the same way from being 'warm' although do obviously have an initial run-in period from new.

I like leaving all my kit on all the time as it provides a nice LED type glow for me to navigate to the toilet by in the middle of the night.

19. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +834
    I tend to leave the sub on all the time but switch the amp off. My Denon can get quite hot, combine that with the ambient heat and it gets pretty uncomfortable, not just in my "room" but the amp gets very hot to the touch. Can´t leave it on standby either as if there is a powercut/surge the amp comes back on powered up.

All other kit is left on standby. When I watch dvds etc just switch on and away we go, don´t bother waiting a while after power up.

20. MonkeyDonkey

MonkeyDonkey
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I don't like leaving anything on. Partly because of the heat, especially in summer, 2 computers and a ht setup in one room is a bit much.
    But also because its just a hell of a waste of electricity, damaging to the environment and wasting money. Thats kinda why I never used standby too.

21. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    leaving amps on can be a nusiance heat wise, my amp sits at about 30 degrees with no load.......it is highly effective at heating my room!

ad