Do I need to upgrade?

rejourda

Standard Member
Hi

I have an Onkyo nr515 with q acoustic 2020i front and back and a BK400 sub in a 5.1 setup. I just bought my first 4k tv (Sony 9505h) and my amp will not pass through 4k but works well with the apps on the TV for sound through ARC.

I was looking at budget 4k amps such as the the Denon 1600h or the Sony 1080 (refurbished) and I was wondering if they would offer an improvement on sound with my setup?

I have a duel HDMI blu-ray player on the way so that can be a work around for my Onkyo amp when watching 4k discs. I may want another 4k device in the future just in case my tv apps stop behaving themselves.

Hi

I have an Onkyo nr515 with q acoustic 2020i front and back and a BK400 sub in a 5.1 setup. I just bought my first 4k tv (Sony 9505h) and my amp will not pass through 4k but works well with the apps on the TV for sound through ARC.

I was looking at budget 4k amps such as the the Denon 1600h or the Sony 1080 (refurbished) and I was wondering if they would offer an improvement on sound with my setup?

I have a duel HDMI blu-ray player on the way so that can be a work around for my Onkyo amp when watching 4k discs. I may want another 4k device in the future just in case my tv apps stop behaving themselves.
If you are happy with using ARC then probably best to stay as you are. I switched to a 4K/HDR amp for convenience as I prefer to feed everything into the amp and have one cable to the TV and I hate HDMI CEC.

gibbsy

You'll be fine using the dual HDMI direct to the TV for video and the second for HDMI to the AV amp as this will preserve HD audio for you. ARC will work from the TV giving you Dolby Digital Plus as a maximum, if this proves buggy (and it often does) then use the optical out. You'll lose no audio quality over the ARC connection but might just save your sanity.

The latest video from AVForums

Movies Podcast: Star Trek in 4K. Is the new boxset worth it?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom