Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Do I need to Upgrade??

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Chrper, Mar 30, 2005.

1. Chrper

Chrper
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Afternoon Folks

Bit of a Dilema,

This weekend finished setting up my system, PWD6 plasma, Yamaha 750 amp with MS 302 fronts and Rears 304 Centre and 309 Sub.

Now The wife tells me that we are moving house ( dont ask!!! family member needs constant care) and the new room that this will be in is Much bigger.

IE 20 x 14ft but with 10ft ceilings!! so a lot of space to fill.

I suspect that I wil have to upgrade the ms 302 fronts but have a problem if that is the case, no floorstanders are going to be allowed!! its bookshelf or nothing!! I suspect I could get away with say 30cm tall!! as they would fit on a shelf!!! no probs with the redundant 302s they become the second set of rears and I go 7.1 ( whey hey!!) but what options do I have that will not break the bank.

Would I need a new Centre??

Also would the 309 be a big enough sub for a room that size??

Will the AMp do the job??

This could all get V messy!!!! & cost all the money I was hiding to pay for ISF calibration and a Scaler!!

All help advice and guidance will be greatly recieved.

Thanks in advance

Chris

2. Harry T2

Harry T2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    I wouldn't worry about what if's.

Analyse the problem again after you have moved in. You will waste alot of money trying to 2nd guess.

3. Blu Ray

Blu Ray

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    The amp will certainly be up to it.

4. Chrper

Chrper
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Ah well, I can probably get a bit of funding !!! from the wife as part of the moving proceeds!!! ( ie out of household funds!!!)

If I have a few ideas and thus costs, I may be able to swing it!! without dipping into my slush fund!! ( well Tax rebate).

You dont argue with Head teachers even when they are your wife!! far better to be up front and have a happy existance.

I make her sound like an ogre, shes is very sweet and kind but just doesnt get why a 10 year old 20" sony and a VCR is not enough for watching TV!!!.

I have spent today programing a Harmony remote so that she can switch things on!! ( which I cannot recomend highly enough its brilliant).

Hence the post!!

just so I can get an Idea of worst case etc!!

Cheers

Chris

5. Harry T2

Harry T2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    In that case, it is totally different.

What kind of expenditure do you think you can wriggle. I would then work back from there to what you can get. But I still wouldn;t spend anything until you are moved in.

6. Chrper

Chrper
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Cheers Harry

Well I was thinking in the Sub £1K bracket, the more sub the better!!

Especially given all the speakers didnt cost that much!! and given that Bluray thinks the AMp will be up to it ( big sigh of relief) I hope that I am only looking at Front speakers ( including maybe a new centre to keep things matched).

Oh and possibly a new or maybe second sub!!! ( 2 subs!! whats all that about then??) but that would need very carefull selling to the other half, or be very well hidden from view!!

cheers

Chris

7. Blu Ray

Blu Ray

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    You might want to consider 3 x Canton CD50s for the front three. They cost £88 each (see Canton in the UK@Internet prices). I simply mention these, as you have written off floorstanders unfortunately. These have wall mounting brackets included, and are pretty good. They're available in black or aluminium. Although they're primarily designed for center and rear, I know they have been recommended for fronts as well. Hornydragon is more expert than I am on this issue though :)

8. Chrper

Chrper
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks BluRay

The reason for no Floorstanders was simply that I have only seen them with side firing bass modules.

the wife has the Idea that we would have a range of book shelves fitted across the wall with a space in the middle for the plasma to be wall mounted and the equipment on shelving beneath.

everything would need to be mounted within the bookcases, However If there are floorstanders that fit the bill and would not be compromised by this kind of situation then I am all ears!!. (The surround and rears will be wall mounted so no prob with them.)
    Especially as I will be arranging for the book cases to be built and can thus make allowances for anythng that I can make fit that wont look too out of place.!! ( but will sound better!!).

I would rather start with a couple of recomendations so I know that I am in the right ballpark, having just been given awful advice by RS ( but thats another story and one that has at least been resolved).

Thanks again

Chris

9. Blu Ray

Blu Ray

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Well, ideally, for your size of room which is similar to mine, I'd suggest the CD100s. They are floor mounters, but wife friendly (well mine). Check here for spec. They are 101 cm high, so not too bad, and nice & slim.

10. Chrper

Chrper
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks Blu Ray

I had a look at them last night and they look great and price wise are excelent, I think that given the size of them they may just be wife freindly!!!!

So they are certainly on my list of possibles for 2 x CD100 and CD1 x 50

Thanks

Chris