• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Do I need to upgrade

Phideaux

Standard Member
I have the following AV system, which is my first attempt to see if I like the concept (which I do :) )

Panasonic TX-P37X10 plasma with a S/H Onkyo TX-SR605 amp, Monitor Audio Silver 5i fronts, MA Silver SLCR centre, Kef 2005.2 rears, Paradigm PDR10 sub, Sony RDR-HX725 DVD. Denon PCS amp/tuner + multi CD player.

I don't really listen to the radio in the livingroom, I don't game or anything like that. All I want to do is use the AV system for watching Freeview and DVDs (80%) and occassionally (20%) listen to music (ranging from heavy rock, through R&B, 80's and 90's pop, to classical - particulalry horn and oboe, with a bit of baroque and chant).

I do want a good picture and good sound but not enough to pay £000's

What AV amp would be a good step up from the Onkyo 605? Possibly thinking of something S/H until I succumb to blueray in 18+ months.

dante01

Distinguished Member
I'd suggest you look at warmer sounding amps than the Onkyo for use with your Montor Audio speakers. Amps by Yamaha, Denon and Marantz would better suit your speakers.

If considering a new amp then I'd suggest the £450 Denon AVR1910 as being a worthwhile upgrade from the Onkyo TXSR605. Even better would be something like the Denon AVR2310 or Yamaha RXV1900.

Phideaux

Standard Member
I'd suggest you look at warmer sounding amps than the Onkyo for use with your Montor Audio speakers. Amps by Yamaha, Denon and Marantz would better suit your speakers.

If considering a new amp then I'd suggest the £450 Denon AVR1910 as being a worthwhile upgrade from the Onkyo TXSR605. Even better would be something like the Denon AVR2310 or Yamaha RXV1900.

These are all receivers are they not? Not sure that I'd ever use the tuner (only just realised that the 605 is a receiver). Are there no straightforward amps out there (or have I got the wrong end of the stick)?

dante01

Distinguished Member
These are all receivers are they not? Not sure that I'd ever use the tuner (only just realised that the 605 is a receiver). Are there no straightforward amps out there (or have I got the wrong end of the stick)?

The majority of AV amps now come with inbuilt tuners these days so you are left with no option but to have it even if you don't want it. You are not obliged to use it and like you I don't use my inbuilt tuner either.

Phideaux

Standard Member
The majority of AV amps now come with inbuilt tuners these days so you are left with no option but to have it even if you don't want it. You are not obliged to use it and like you I don't use my inbuilt tuner either.

Ah! So I can forget about needing to distinguish between an amp and a receiver. OK, I get it.

easywicked

Established Member
Phideaux, Hi,just a quick question to where did you get your MA Silver SLCR centre speaker from?
I have also the silver 5i myself for many years,just be nice to get a centre to match them...:)
Cheers Tony.

Phideaux

Standard Member
Phideaux, Hi,just a quick question to where did you get your MA Silver SLCR centre speaker from?
I have also the silver 5i myself for many years,just be nice to get a centre to match them...:)
Cheers Tony.

That well known recycling auction website ;) Paid £65 + postage.

easywicked

Established Member
Ok...thanks for the heads up.:thumbsup:

The latest video from AVForums

SVS Prime Wireless Pro Powered Speakers - Review Coming Soon
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom