Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi folks,

My current setup is as follows:

Yamaha RX-V679
Q Acoustics 3050 fronts
Q Acoustics 3010i rears
Tannoy TS2.8 sub

With the tannoy reaching 50Hz and the 3050s reaching 44Hz, do I need to look at upgrading the sub?
Crossover is currently set at 80Hz and all speakers are 'small' on the AVR.

50Hz is the lowest crossover frequency you can set, not the lowest the sub will output.
Run some test tones on spotify and see how low you can get output to.
The 3050s might be quoted to 44Hz but it won't be meaningful output and they'll be struggling. Even a small sub will help lift some of the work from the speakers. With dual 8" drivers I wouldn't expect to be getting under 20Hz, but under 30 should be achievable.

If you want deeper extension or more headroom then yes, you'll need to upgrade. Based on only those specs and without knowing your needs, there's no certainly that you have to upgrade.

Small and 80Hz is a great place to start and what most of us run with.

From the manual: Low frequency roll off (-6 dB, typical in room) 34 Hz.

That model has 8" active driver and 8" passive radiator. 180w rms amp.

Diligent research as ever Gasp.

Still, even with that number, for music only it'll help with the speakers and the amp (you're basically adding another amp, cabinet, and driver into the chain, just for bass). It's no good for movies though, a lot of the fun stuff happens below that or needs a good amount of volume. 8"x2 and 180w isn't going to pressurise anything but the smallest of rooms.

If you want a bit more depth and output something like the BK XLS200 or, if the budget allows, the XXLS400 or SB12-PR would be a huge improvement.

That sub will be enough in a bedroom, but not good enough for living room

Thank you all for your replies!
Yes, I do feel I lack oomph when watching movies, music is fine.
Looks like the XLS200 may fit the bill.
I'm relatively new to the AV world and still learning, so appreciate all your help!

With regards to testing frequency roll off; is there an app you can suggest? Or is it a case of dedicated equipment?

Yes, I do feel I lack oomph when watching movies, music is fine. Looks like the XLS200 may fit the bill.

Notice that placement can make dramatic change too. We had member who had to put BK sub at middle of front wall cause it fitted there/looked best. But sounded very weak and underwhelming. After moving it to front corner and further tweaked it came alive big time!

Looking the back of Tannoy, you have it connected to LFE. Phase 0, Frequency knob to highest hz, volume knob position around 10-12clock. You can check from Yamaha menu speaker levels, subwoofer level that it´s around -8db and -4db roughly.

If you go for upgrade then make a larger jump. Soon there comes BK P12-300SB for 346£+10£ shipping. It will be about 40£ more than XLS200 both being new grade-b items. You get larger driver (12") and larger cabinet (50litre vs. 18litre) so naturally you get noticeable jump in performance. This is all assuming you can fit one there. :) I think for most people looking cheap product this would be the sweet spot that gives the wow factor too, after some tiny cheap box.

Keep on eye this site below as they add daily new items usually. P12 will arrive at some point.

-- As an eBay Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases --
Thanks for your help Gasp, very informative!
I'm going to be moving house in the next few months hopefully, so will look around then, maybe before.
I've heard good things about the P12.
What is the recommendation between DF and FF? Would DF suit carpeted floors moreso?

Thanks for your help Gasp, very informative!
I'm going to be moving house in the next few months hopefully, so will look around then, maybe before.
I've heard good things about the P12.
What is the recommendation between DF and FF? Would DF suit carpeted floors moreso?

Both will work great! They have different dimensions and some might feel DF is better looking without driver being visible and if kids then more safer. Keep on eye if they come available. Also some XXLS400 with basic finishes should go for ~396£ with better driver and slightly beefier amp.

Notice there is two P12 models, this is the cheaper one. Both has been reviewed by AVF:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom