• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Question Do I need to upgrade my RX-A3040?

saqmaster

Established Member
Hi all,

So I purchased a Yamaha RX-A3040 back in February (was 25% off). Unfortunately my build still isn't finished so the amp is still sitting in its box, brand new and unused! The end goal is a Dolby Atmos 5.1.4 config..

Now I just purchased my new TV which is the LG EF950V and I would like to fully benefit by all its features, such as HDR.

I called Yamaha today who said the RX-A3040 will not receive firmware updates to support HDCP 2.2, HDMI 2.0a, HDR etc and that i'd need to upgrade to the RX-A3050.

Just wanted to check with you guys if this is relative? Does the AVR need to support HDR or is that just passed through? I don't really know enough about the actual standard/protocol specs.

I just don't want to be in a situation where the AVR is limiting what the TV can do.

Any advice appreciated.. many thanks.

dante01

Distinguished Member
The receiver has to have HDMI version 2.0a to be able to passthrough HDR UHD encoded video. You'd also need at least version 2.0 to passthrough [email protected]/60Hz which will be the resolution associated with UHD Blu-ray. HDMI version 2.0 is also the version needed for HDCP 2.2 compliance. The RXA3040 is equipped with HDMI version 1.4.

There is the possibility that new UHD BD players will included dual HDMI output so that one output can be used to convey the UHD encoded content directly to a display while the other is used to convey HD encoded audio to an older non UHD compliant AV receiver.

You'd also get DTS:X via update when available with the RXA3050.

saqmaster

Established Member
The receiver has to have HDMI version 2.0a to be able to passthrough HDR UHD encoded video. You'd also need at least version 2.0 to passthrough [email protected]/60Hz which will be the resolution associated with UHD Blu-ray.

There is the possibility that new UHD BD players will included dual HDMI output so that one output can be used to convey the UHD encoded content directly to a display while the other is used to convey HD encoded audio to an older non UHD compliant AV receiver.

You'd also get DTS:X via update when available with the RXA3050.

Yeah the chap at Yamaha did mention about the dual output scenario. DTS-X sounds good, from what I briefly read five minutes ago. Might be wider supported than Atmos? Not sure.

I think the 3040 does support some of what you mention above, but definitely not HDCP 2.2.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 8K TV dead? Philips OLED+907, Pioneer LX505 AVR plus B&W 700 S3 Reviews & Visit + AV/HiFi News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom