Do i need to upgrade my CPU

Sunshinewelly

Distinguished Member
i currently have a steam index VR set up and since last using it have now gone from a 2080 to an RTX3080

i have a ryzen 2700 CPU(non x)

i have a 5600x on pre order from amazon but wonder whether the same is necessary for VR

my current CPU is GPU limited at 4k so no benefit for 4 k gaming but does the same principle apply for VR

ArmitageShanks

Depends on the games you're playing really. Something like Project Cars 2 benefits from more threads to handle more cars on the track. But that's true regardless of VR. MSFS might also get a boost.

But otherwise I doubt you'd be able to notice any dramatic improvement in most games. I went from a 6700K to a 5900X and my overall reaction was a resounding "meh" in the majority of titles. The GPU is almost always the bottleneck.

That being said, the 5600X should give you at least some performance increase due to better IPC and clock. Just prepare to be slightly underwhelmed when it comes to any VR performance improvement is all I'm saying.

Delvey

Distinguished Member
Simplest way to find out is download something like MSI afterburner and monitor CPU usage, anything over 75% is limiting your GPU.

KingD

Simplest way to find out is download something like MSI afterburner and monitor CPU usage, anything over 75% is limiting your GPU.
Delvey is right, although maybe worth giving your CPU a mild OC if it is coming up a little short, I cant imagine a 2700 would be that big a bottleneck on anything bar maybe MSFS or any processor heavy titles (not many)

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Sky Glass, Epson Laser Projectors plus Home Cinema Subwoofers and More…
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom