Do I need to upgrade my 4k player?

mattler

Standard Member
Reaction score
Last year I upgraded my entire system to 4K / OLED 65" / Yamaha atmos
Now comes the part where I skimped....I bought a Samsung UBD-K8500.
My thinking at the time was that the player can either deliver 4K from a disk or it cant. Therefore so long as I bought a 4K native then they would all do the same job and I would see as good a picture as my TV could reproduce. At the time I thought the only difference in price was things like features and reliability.
I recently realised that the picture can be better as my friend has a much more expensive player with the same TV and his picture is miles better.
HAVE I JUST ANSWERED MY OWN QUESTION or am I missing something?
Thanks
Matty

Last year I upgraded my entire system to 4K / OLED 65" / Yamaha atmos
Now comes the part where I skimped....I bought a Samsung UBD-K8500.
My thinking at the time was that the player can either deliver 4K from a disk or it cant. Therefore so long as I bought a 4K native then they would all do the same job and I would see as good a picture as my TV could reproduce. At the time I thought the only difference in price was things like features and reliability.
I recently realised that the picture can be better as my friend has a much more expensive player with the same TV and his picture is miles better.
HAVE I JUST ANSWERED MY OWN QUESTION or am I missing something?
Thanks
Matty
His TV might be better set up than yours
You might have been watching a better UHD on his than on yours (not all UHDs are equal in PQ)
The grass is always greener on the other side...:)

There shouldn't be much, if any, difference between your Samsung and the most expensive of players. Which one has he got?

I would get a oppo 203 before they sell out. :)

dont know the model but its a make called Oppo? not heard of them but it was seriously expensive

I would get a oppo 203 before they sell out. :)
Or spend half or less of that and get a calibration done...

dont know the model but its a make called Oppo? not heard of them but it was seriously expensive
Even that make wouldn't/shouldn't make that much of a difference. Ask your mate if his set is calibrated. That would make much more of a difference than between any UHD players.

Last edited:
I`m also fairly sure it was nothing to do with my TV setup because some the imperfections I`m seeing are stuff like what I call pixelating. I`m not sure if its the right word but I guess you know what I mean. Also my player has NEVER ever been able to play normal DVD`s which it claims it should, just stating "disk cannot be read"

I`m also fairly sure it was nothing to do with my TV setup because some the imperfections I`m seeing are stuff like what I call pixelating. I`m not sure if its the right word but I guess you know what I mean. Also my player has NEVER ever been able to play normal DVD`s which it claims it should, just stating "disk cannot be read"
All players should be able to play DVDs unless the DVD laser is misaligned or knackered. Players use a different one for blu-ray/UHD. May be you have a not very good example of the 8500.

I owned a 8500 a few years ago and while I returned it fairly quickly this wasn't due to PQ issues but rather it had some sticking/skipping and a noisy fan/drive issue. Didn't see much of a difference, if any, between it PQ wise to the Panasonic UB700 I replaced it with.

So are you guys basically saying that if your TV is set up just right then a back to back test with the same content between mine V`s one of these oppo players should yield no difference in PQ?
If so then I will save my cash and just upgrade to one for around £300

So are you guys basically saying that if your TV is set up just right then a back to back test with the same content between mine V`s one of these oppo players should yield no difference in PQ?
If so then I will save my cash and just upgrade to one for around £300
What do you mean you guys? There is only me here at the moment. This is your fundamental problem, you are seeing double..:)

Some here made that decision and sold their Oppos for a Panasonic. Others went the opposite direction.

But all other things being equal players should be much the same when playing UHDs PQ wise (how they playback is another thing entirely). Your TV settings are more of an influence. Getting the settings right and calibration can make a big difference with the LG Oleds.

Last edited:
@mattler What you need to do, before you spend any money at all, is to take your Samsung K8500 player round to your friend's house. And if you can find Blu-rays that you both own, even better. So then you would play one Blu-ray in your Samsung player, and at the same time play the identical Blu-ray in his Oppo. Switching back and forth between inputs to his receiver will quickly tell if there is any difference between the two disc players.

All that said, I'm a great fan of television calibration, and I'll be getting my Sony 75ZD9 done on 25th April by this forum's very own Mr Steve Withers, yaayyy! Until after the calibration I'm not putting the new Sony into my signature. See this about television calibration
Why should I get my TV/Projector professionally calibrated?

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom