Do i need to upgrade an old amp just for features?

dynamitetony

So I have a Yamaha DSP-A1 which as between 12-14 years old and still going strong

The TV is connected to the amp with a digital toslink cable and sky connected to the TV with HDMI

I use mainly sky using the multi room wifi box (seems to only give me 2.1 sound) and also netflix/amazon direct from the TV app (gives 5.1 sound)

These are the new feautres i would gain with a new amp and im trying to work out if there is any point upgrading or not

1) e/ARC I dont really understand how this is much different to toslink , if at all and will i notice a difference
2) auto room callibration software. I have set up my amp manually over time to get it how i like it, will i notice much difference if i use software to callibrate
3) dolby atmos. i am not going to install ceiling speakes, but happy to try the upfiring ones, is it worth it considering the sources i listen to

I dont have other sources that need to connect to HDMI so not so bothered about plugging all sources to the amp directly

Is there any other reason i might have missed worth upgarding for?

and if i did get a new amp would the Sony 1080 be good enough or would i need to spend more?

Thank you

pops107

I can not help you and some of your stuff but I believe Dolby digital+ that sky uses and Netflix etc can not be passed over optical only hdmi but I may be wrong

That's why the arc over hdmi comes in

D

Deleted member 39241

I think you would need to aim considerably higher than a Sony 1080 to match your current AVR with one of a similar quality with modern features:

1. e/ARC - Your TV would need to support these features, as well as the new AVR. Standard ARC would give you dolby digital plus 5.1 which is better than standard dolby digital and is used by many streaming platforms, and can contain atmos metadata. eARC would give you all audio formats, including the best quality Dolby True HD / Atmos and DTS HD MA / DTS:X but these are mainly found on Blu Ray and UHD discs. ARC and eARC is only for sending audio from / through the TV to the amp, you can connect the source to the amp instead and pass the video to the TV, or separately connect audio to the amp and video to the TV from the source.

2. Room correction - some love it, some hate it. I have Dirac and use it very minimally.

3. Dolby atmos - can be fun, I use two upfiring speakers, and it does add a sense of excitement and a feeling of overhead sound.

dynamitetony

Thank you. I think my TV does ARC, but not E/ARC

The other amp i looked at was the Denon 3700 but obviously a jump up in price .

from what you say, im not sure its really worth it

goingoingong

Distinguished Member
So I have a Yamaha DSP-A1 which as between 12-14 years old and still going strong

The TV is connected to the amp with a digital toslink cable and sky connected to the TV with HDMI

I use mainly sky using the multi room wifi box (seems to only give me 2.1 sound) and also netflix/amazon direct from the TV app (gives 5.1 sound)

These are the new feautres i would gain with a new amp and im trying to work out if there is any point upgrading or not

1) e/ARC I dont really understand how this is much different to toslink , if at all and will i notice a difference
2) auto room callibration software. I have set up my amp manually over time to get it how i like it, will i notice much difference if i use software to callibrate
3) dolby atmos. i am not going to install ceiling speakes, but happy to try the upfiring ones, is it worth it considering the sources i listen to

I dont have other sources that need to connect to HDMI so not so bothered about plugging all sources to the amp directly

Is there any other reason i might have missed worth upgarding for?

and if i did get a new amp would the Sony 1080 be good enough or would i need to spend more?

Thank you
For what you intend to use it for I think you be best to stay as you are.

CaptainJames

For what you intend to use it for I think you be best to stay as you are.

Hmmmm......I'm not so sure. OP has a high quality piece of kit with the Yamaha, but is not currently getting the best out of it sound wise with only 2.1 from a Sky mini box and lossy 5.1 from Netflix via an optical.. So I think something like the Denon X3700H would sound at least as good using those sources, with the added benefit of having all the latest tech such as Atmos. Plus he could add a 4K Blu ray at a later date to benefit from DTS MA / Dolby True HD over HDMI.

AndyC_772

I had a DSP-A1 for years. It was iconic at its time, but things have moved on.

In terms of the sound, the issue I found with the A1 was that it lost composure at higher levels. Playing quietly it was OK, but loud music became a 'wall of sound' that really wasn't nice to listen to. I blamed my speakers for a long time (Monitor Audio Studio 20SE), but the amp turned out to be responsible.

I upgraded to an Arcam AVR550 about four years ago. It sounds wonderfully clear and controlled right up to the point where it shuts down to protect itself and the speakers, and on those (admittedly relatively rare) occasions when I crank up the volume, it's a pleasure rather than a trial.

It has Dirac, which I use for movies and TV but not for stereo music.

It doesn't have eARC, which isn't an issue for me since I don't use the TV's built in apps at all - all my content is over HDMI (Tivo, UHD BR, Fire TV, PS4), with all sources routed to the TV via the AVR. This, of course, isn't something the A1 can do since it doesn't have HDMI.

If you don't currently have a way to hear Dolby TrueHD, DTS HD-MA or other modern formats, then you'll be in for a treat with any new amp that supports them.

The latest video from AVForums

LG G1 OLED Evo TV and SVS SB-1000 Pro subwoofer reviews, Samsung OLED rumours and more...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom