Do I need to update package to get Sky+?

RattySarah

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi. I'm new to the forum, looking for some advice about Sky+. I already have a subscription to most of the Sky channels (not movies) which is about £22 a month. I'd really like to get a Sky+ box but will I have to pay more a month or not?

When you go on their website and say you want Sky plus is tells you how much it is monthly and how much you pay for the box but I want to know if I can just buy a box, put our card in and will it work?

I read on here that some people who don't subscribe pay £10 a month for the 'privilege' of having the box, do you have to pay that if you do subscribe?

Thanks in advance guys

Firstly , you need two cables from the dish into the sky box for the main recording features to work , that is , watching one channel while recording another , watching a recorded program while recording two more and so on.

This means an installer changing the LNB on the dish.

It would work with one cable , but you'd only be able to record what your watching which would be a bit pointless.

Second, and this is a biggie , you must have an active sky subscription to use the recording features of the box. So if you do just buy a box , then you must call sky to activate the recording features of the box.

The way it usually works is that if you have any of the premium packages like sports and so on , then the £10 fee is waived.

If at any point you cancel all the sky subs and just watch the free channels , then the sky + features no longer work and you cant even watch previously recorded programs if you dont have the relevant sub.

The way it usually works is that if you have any of the premium packages like sports and so on , then the £10 fee is waived.

Sky+(recording,rewinding etc) is free if you subscibe to any Sky package.Otherwise its £10 a month.Premium or non premium channels do not effect this.

Last edited:
It would work with one cable , but you'd only be able to record what your watching which would be a bit pointless.

Not strictly true. Nobody says that you have to watch the Sky channel that you're recording. You could be watching a DVD, another terrestrial TV channel, having a bath, be at the pub etc etc etc. Then you can watch the recording back in your own time.

But I agree that if it is possible for the OP to get a second cable installed (i.e. she owns her own house rather than living in an apartment block) then she ought to. And buying a Sky+ box directly from Sky will get her single LNB upgraded to a quad when the box is delivered and installed.

Thanks for all your replies, an so quickly too!!

The ariel thing isn't really a problem as we do own our house and my dad's always playing with ariels and stuff. It might be best if I give Sky a ring and see if they will charge the £10 a month or not...maybe I can persuade them nicely! I'll have a browse on their website again and see what's what.

It might be best if I give Sky a ring and see if they will charge the £10 a month or not...maybe I can persuade them nicely!

No persuading to be done. Sky+ functionality is free - as long as you have a Sky+ box, and subscribe to Sky TV. And has been for nearly two years. We weren't all joking you know...

It might be best if I give Sky a ring and see if they will charge the £10 a month or not...maybe I can persuade them nicely! I'll have a browse on their website again and see what's what.

As has been said Sky+ is FREE with anything from a 1Mix package and up - and has been since July 2007. It's £9.75 since the VAT reduction

" Sky+ subscription required for Personal Video Recorder features (free for Sky TV customers, or £9.75 pm)."

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom