1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do I need to JSTech convert SKY to feed Iscan?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs Forum' started by deman77, Aug 21, 2003.

1. deman77

deman77
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am considering two options to feed SKY into iScan Ultra:
    1) RGB to JSTech (£60 cable + £150 converter) then component to iScan (£60 cable)
    2) s-video it directly to iScan (£60 cable)
    The assumptions is top notch cables are to be used in both cases.

Can anyone explain what's the benefit of going (1). So far I see extra £210 plus common knowledge would suggest that any conversion even very good one does not create any extra information but at best will keep it the same.
    The only benefit I can see is that RGB is so much better than s-video that even after two cables and conversion it will still be better. Is that the case?
    Also would the iScan prefer component to svideo when trying to do its tricks?
    Has anyone tried both?

2. Easy2BCheesy

Easy2BCheesy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm talking hypothetically here, but I can't help but think that option 1 will give a significantly better picture. The RGB to YUV converter from JS Technology is virtually lossless - that being the case it will be feeding the iScan a massively improved signal over S-Video.

That said, since you're going to buy an iScan any way, why not try option 2 with just a normal S-Video cable you have lying around to give you some idea of the quality. However, common sense says that option 1 will give you a better picture simply because component input (and indeed RGB) is so much better than S-Video.

Going for option 2 sounds like you're buying a Ferrari, filling it up with the most expensive fuel, but only driving it up to third gear when it's capable of so much more.

3. jmack

jmack

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i have ntl so could not try s-video into the iscan ultra but did try composite into ultra.
    it was a pretty good picture but no where near ntl into js tech yuc then into ultra.

hope that helps a bit

4. StooMonster

StooMonster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +314
    Option 1 gives the best picture and gives truely excellent results.

I am biased because I have two JS Tech boxes, for two digiboxes, one into iScan Ultra (for plasma) and other for my LCD television.

It's the only way to be sure.

StooMonster

5. deman77

deman77
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Stoo,

thnx. I saw you making good use of custom mains cables. Do you find that makes a big diff for video or do you do that mainly for audio clarity?
    Will I need to replace them all to see the difference or replacing one or two will give a good kick? if not all, which ones should I start with?

6. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,940
    deman77

Definateley Option 1 if you want to get the best image onto your screen.

Also don't forget about the quality of the iScan to screen cable!

Best regards

Joe

7. StooMonster

StooMonster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +314
    Mark Grant's custom mains cable for Sky -- high purity silver plated oxygen free copper cores, insulated with teflon, screened with two layers of silver plated oxygen free copper braiding, insulated with more teflon, with silver plated figure-8 and silver plated MK Tough plug -- gave a huge improvement to picture quality.

So noticeable that even Mrs StooMonster asked what new big of kit I had purchased; and wouldn't believe it was a mains cable until I showed her Sky+ (RGB into JS-Tech into iScan Ultra into plasma) with and without cable.

Mark's cable is a reasonable price and you can PM him at Mark Grant, he's friendly to deal with and makes a very professionally finished product.

Highly recommended.

StooMonster

PS: It also noticeabley improved the optical digital audio output from Sky+ too, don't ask me how but it does.