1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do I need to demolish my walls

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Canndo, Feb 13, 2005.

1. Canndo

Canndo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Having finally decided to do up the front room and having appeased the wife with a new leather suite, I am about to take the plunge on a plasma.
    My dilemma is this - I want to mount the screen on the wall, but as most of the sets have all the connections on the back requiring me to cut a track as wide as the english channel. I have therefore decided to buy a set with a separate media box (reducing the need for so many cables).
    Ideally, going by the general consensus on the forum, I would like the Pioneer 435XDE, but due to budget constraints (blame the leather suite!!) I am looking at the Hitachi 42PD5300.
    My questions are:
    Is there any other set / system I can buy to prevent having to track out most of my wall?
    Can the tuner boxes be upgraded at a later date?
    Is the Hitachi up to the job?
    Hope you can help an AV dunce.

2. mr ooops

mr ooops

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +353
    If you have wallpaper then Id agree putting the cables in the wall is a pain, but if you only have painted walls I would recommend channeling the wall as it is real easy and once plastered/painted would be unseen :)

3. Canndo

Canndo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the reply.
    I'm stil undecided on what to buy though.
    Which cables would you recommend to leave at the hanging position.
    I am thinking of 3 scarts, 1 component video & 1 power lead.
    (hope the house doesn't fall down !)

4. bigfatsi

bigfatsi
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Depending on how long before you redocorate, it might be worth putting a DVI or HDMI in there too! I made the same mistake and had a real pain putting it in later. Also, if you can why not use a spur to a double plug socket behind the TV. It means you have no cable running through the skirting to the plug and it allows you to add for example a scart to vga convertor at a later date without having to worry about cabling again!! Yes, thats another cock up I made.

Hope this helps.

Bigfatsi.

5. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    There are many solutions that involve only 1 cable to the screen, but there is a lot to think about here before committing yourself to burying a proprietary cable. I'd try and keep 'open source' on cables for max future proofing, what if you don't like it, or it goes wrong in 15 months, even with an extended warranty you might end up with a different screen. Tuner boxes are never upgradeable, other options might suit you equally well on the cabling front. An AV amp is also a video hub, are you considering just the built in speakers, or surround sound as well?

6. Canndo

Canndo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Apologies, as I know next to nothing about this game.
    Had a look at av amps (possibly the Denon AVR-1905).
    Could I use this, connect it to something like a Panasonic PW7 and a speaker set up (Wharfedale diamond 9H CP), and be ready to go.
    PS. Do these av amps take standard co-ax aerial connections?

7. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    You'd need a TV tuner of some sort, sky, cable or freeview. The amp only has a radio tuner. A freeview box is often ideal. For this kind of setup, you could consider one of the Pioneer scart switching amps, they don't require a degree in AV technology to connect. Then with a PW, you'd buy the screen with no video boards, get a JS RGB to VGA converter, and bury a power lead, a VGA lead, and whilst you are in there an HDMI lead. Then you are covered, well maybe!!!

8. bstonehouse

bstonehouse

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +54
    I have a question on a similar subject as this concerning a pioneer 435-xde (or any other plasma with a tuner box). Surely however it is cabled up the most important connection will be the one from the tuner box to the plasma - my question is how good quality are these cables typically and do they need to be replace with a higher quality cable.

I have read lots of complaints about the panasonic tuner box but very few about the pioneeer tuner box with the XDE - how good are they and does the final cale need upgrading ?

9. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    It's possible to upgrade the cable, I'd say at 3m length no stress. The upgrades are a pile of cash. The reason nobody whinges about the pioneer media box is that there is no choice, it's part of the screen so to speak, it won't work without it. With Panasonic, it's an extra, you don't have to have it.
    The Pioneer media box does inhibit the performance of the plasma in various ways, you can do a far far better job with a Pio. MXE screen and a video scaler. The problem is there is currently no way to get HDCP compliance with an MXE, but solutions various are on their way. There is no technical reason why it has not already happened, just takes ages to filter through.

10. Blu Ray

Blu Ray

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Is this definitely the case? What if Hitachi brought out a new Media box. Would it not be a simple issue to swap them out?

11. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    History so far tells us the new boxes are:-
    a) Never compatible with older screens
    b) not available separately even when they are compatible.
    For instance, you can't upgrade your FDE Pioneer to XDE cos they won't sell the box separately. You are totally at the mercy of the manufacturer. My way leaves you at the mercy of the dealer, but he's smaller and easier to blackmail!

12. Liam @ Prog AV

Liam @ Prog AV
    Well-known Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    Why would they when they could sell you a whole plasma again?

The Panasonic is complained about because it is crap. And it is the same model since it's launch 3 generations ago. The Pioneer while still no scaler solution is very good at what it does and has learned new tricks with each generation. Replacing the cable will not do much unless you plan to extend the distance too where a higher grade core would be better. Even still, if extending I would buy the Wireworld MDR cable (which many of us dealers install just can't be bothered to advertise) and use a more cost effective Bettercables or even Lindy lead!!!

13. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    There you go guys, not just me thinks this way. And it's not just 'dealer interest', it'd be far les hassle just to flog you a screen and forget you, I assure you!

14. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    when burying cables of any type bury some string (tough stuff from hardware shop) can really get you out of the brown and sticky..... also donplaster onto cables run conduit or plastic pipe...(if it is a stud wall you can(if you are lucky) just hole behind screen and lower down a drop the cable in...it is very very rarely that cabling (in terms of install) should rule your choice of device.........

15. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Bear in mind that digital cables are not site teminated, they must be installed with the plugs on, and a DVI plug is quite bulky.

16. BigScreenAl

BigScreenAl
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've just done this, ended up burying -

1 x Component
    1 x HDMI
    1 x DVI
    2 x CAT 6

That should do it !

17. mowbli

mowbli

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm going to be mounting a PWD6 and feeding with with a CHORD RCA>VGA cable from a Denon 3805. Can someone confirm that this will work? Also plan to install HDMI, what would be the benefit of installing CAT6 cables?

Thanks

18. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Component-vga is fine on PWD6, you can send all sorts up and down a cat 5/6 cable. video, audio, infra red, SDI video I shouldn't wonder in fact. HDMI is only any use to you if you change your screen of course, except you could put a dongle on it for DVI.

19. mowbli

mowbli

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks MAW