1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do i need to buy anything else for my TW10?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by sleepyone, Jun 8, 2005.

1. sleepyone

sleepyone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Will be receiving a nice little bonus from work end of this month and have decided to go for the Epson TW10, a few people on this forum seem to like it :D.

Thanks to the helpful people of this forum apart from the projector itself i will be purchasing these 'Profigold PGV339 component cable 10m' and a screen. Which will be connected to my Panasonic DMR-E85.

But what screen? I see that you can get 4:3 and 16:9 screens.

16:9 will be perfect for widescreen TV and DVDs for instance; but if a prog/console game is in 4:3 will I lose anything of the picture or am i just making the pic smaller from the PJ to fit on the screen? The screen will be approx 7 foot from the projector if that helps?

Bit of a silly question i think, but my knowledge of PJs could fit on a stamp :D

2. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +563
    As the TW10 is a 16:9 PJ, a 16:9 screen is best. For 4:3 material the PJ will simply display vertical black bars at each side. Or you could always stretch it to 16:9.

Enjoy your purchase!

...PJ :)

3. sleepyone

sleepyone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Thanks PJ

Thats what I needed to know.

First thing i'm going to show is the opening scene from LOTR:The Two Towers. Just for the wide shot of Gandalf and Balrog plunging into the underground lake. sweet.

4. marker

marker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Got my screen from www.beamaxed.co.uk dimensions are 222cm X 122 cm, 1 gain i think, biggest 16:9 they had, last years stock so i got it for £100.

5. sleepyone

sleepyone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    thanks for the link Marker, I can only see ex-demo on that site just now.

In thinkign of going for this one PJ Screen

Anyone got any thoughts on this screen?

6. Baloo

Baloo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Look about half way down the ex-demo list and you will see the brand new screens for £99. I got one and I'm really impressed.

7. bikeboyz

bikeboyz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've had my TW10 now for two years. I just use a a white wall which regularly gets a good coat of matt white Dulux. Has the advantage of being able to make the picture as small or large as you want without running out of screen space. The TW10 can make big pictures without having to be too far away from the wall/screen.

Epson service is excellent, had a problem with mine with the focus and they exchanged it next day, made the call about 4pm had the guy on the door step 9am! 3 year cover on these units, which makes the price a bargain (yeah you read it right 3 year next day service warranty!!!!!!!) and up to 3000 hrs lamp life!

8. dave_h34

dave_h34

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    What happens with the bulb when you get a replacement unit? I've heard the replacement units are refurbed so do they come with an amount of hours on the bulb or does the fella swap your bulb into the new unit?

9. MikeRJ

MikeRJ
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    You are really missing out by not having black borders though! I made my own screen and used it for a couple of days before adding borders, and it makes significant difference to the perceived contrast of the screen, the picture really "jumps out".

If you want to try, just get a roll of (decent quality) 1"-2" wide masking tape to make the border and paint it with blackboard paint. You can easily remove it without knackering the paint finish if you want to.

10. bikeboyz

bikeboyz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The bulb issue was my question too when it was changed. The service guy phoned his office and was told it would be a new lamp installed. I think I had about 1200 hrs on the old one, and this new one was much brighter. The new one has done 1300hrs without problem so far or signs of needing a lamp. (he did offer to swop them if I wished). Yeah you get a referb on exchange unit but no hastles or waiting for repairs. Mine is used every day as main TV and PC unit.

Border... ummmm . One of the reasons for buying a projector was becuase I have a small flat, and the size and clutter of the exisiting CRT was too big. Now I have even bigger picture and no obvious signs of a TV. Space is greatly saved too. I use it in both 4:3 and 16:9 so an oblong border would bug me with a square picture. Some programs/films/PC look just too big or too small so I do vary the picture size quite a bit to optimise the look. The border would just be the wrong size! People would think it a little odd on the decor too with a black oblong outline painted on the wall!!!

11. dave_h34

dave_h34

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Cheers for that, if the VB continues to get on my nerves I may well ask for a visit. :thumbsup: