Do I need Tilting Bracket if installing Plasma 4ft 2inches high

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Building DIY' started by PioneerKuro, Jan 13, 2008.

1. PioneerKuro

PioneerKuro
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello !

Im looking at installing a 42 inch tv above fireplace.

Room size: 14ft by 12 ft
    Viewing Distance: 10 Ft
    Fireplace height: 3Ft 11 inches
    Centre Speaker Height: 3 inches.

THEREFORE.. the bottom of the plasma will be 4ft 2 inches from the floor. Whats everyones opinion.. Do I need a tilting wall bracket or is a fixed bracket ok. The plasma in question provides 160 degrees viewing angle.

Many Thanks Guys... I just want to get it right first time.

Thanks !

2. SAuchterlonie

SAuchterlonie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    Howdo Fella.....

To be on the safe side I mounted my tv on a tilting bracket just incase I got any glare on the screen from the windows......that way I could alter it a couple of degrees and get rid of the glare. Worked out only 10-15quid more.

Simon

3. PioneerKuro

PioneerKuro
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Simon. But if I dont have that problem (i have blinds) then do you think i can be ok with a Fixed one??... reason i ask is because im interested in getting as flush to the wall as possible. My plasma is going to have 160degrees viewing angle vertical and horizontal so I should get good picture i assume?

4. Sofa-loafer

Sofa-loafer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +65
    I bought a tilting bracket in preference to a standard bracket. My lamp lights caused reflection and thus I tilted my screen to take the 'shimmering' effect away.

It seems you've focused in on a minor detail that you won't see once its up... My screen is tilted slightly but I don't notice it nor has my friends.

If money is a problem then go for the cheap option but if I were you I'd spend the extra £20 & have the option to adjust.

5. Dec1973

Dec1973

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
  6. SAuchterlonie

SAuchterlonie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    PioneerKuro: I don't have the glare problem either (as I have blinds) but I did it to be on the safe side. Table lamps, ceiling lights, floor lights, even spots can cause nasty hot spot reflections on your screen. I found that the xmas tree lights to be the worst!

The other reason I got the slightly deeper bracket was to accomadate for the depth of all the cables going into the back of the TV. A good HDMI plug is about 35-40mm long and by the time the cable comes out and bends slightly you could be looking at 60mm. So the slightly deeper bracket came in useful for that too. Your TV might have the sockets vertically, but the new Sonys are all horizontal.

To be totally honest I find that TV's at that kind of height are too high for me and I end up with a sore neck. The top of my 52" is at about 5'6" so when I'm sitting on the sofa the centre of the screen is right on eye level for me.

As for the viewing angle thats still down to the quality of the TV, my Sony has a viewing angle of somewhere around 178degs and it looks great from all areas.

If you want it really flush to the wall it might be best to sink it into the wall or build the wall out slightly?

Hope the waffle helps!?

Simon

7. PioneerKuro

PioneerKuro
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ok thanks guys .. out of interest.. how high have you guys got it up.. same as me or higher?

8. virgesmith

virgesmith
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Its a tricky one...you need the TV to look good when you're not watching it yet be comfortable when you are. I'd suggest above a fireplace wont be comfortable. Seats right at the front of the cinema are always empty! And you really dont want to be putting big holes in the wall only to move it after

As with hifi (stereo) speakers which ideally should be at ear level when you're sitting down listening, if you do the same thing with a plasma it looks frankly daft. So you need to compromise. The bottom of the picture of my 43" is at eye level and its fine.

Can you put is elsewhere?

9. AnilS

AnilS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +218
    I've bought one of these brackets from Amazon for my 42PZ70 Panny. The tilt feature is excellent as you can swing the Plasma up to get better access to the connections round the back. Well built, comes with all you need and very well priced.

Recommended. :thumbsup:

10. PioneerKuro

PioneerKuro
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well it appears that everyone is recommending Tilt.. i found a tilt one with only 5.5cm depth.... not bad really hey !

11. PioneerKuro

PioneerKuro
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for this....... im tilitin gtowards getting the tilting bracket.. just concerned that it wont look as sexy as a fixed one... also wonder if it really will make the viewing better if it is tilted.