1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do I need the XBOX Hi Def pack to connect to plasma?

Discussion in 'Xbox Forums' started by wayblack, Jan 6, 2005.

1. wayblack

wayblack

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi All

I am sorry if this is a dumb question or if someone has answered it elsewhere in this thread but, I am about to get my new plasma screen tomorrow and I want to hook up my XBOX the best way possible.

My XBOX is a PAL fully Modded including Coaxial connection for Dolby Dig that I currently output to my 5.1 system

My question is can I therefore just buy a XBOX to Component cable (RCA or BNC) to connect straight to my Plasma or do I still need to go through the High Def Pack?

TIA

2. Miyazaki

Miyazaki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +849
    Plenty of threads on this already, just do a search mate :thumbsup:

3. m4A1

m4A1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You need the high def pack man. From there you can choose your own RCA to RCA components, although there the official one displays a good a picture as any high quality cable I own, whether this is a restriction on the AV box or the offical cable being high quality, I don't know. You also need to set your xbox to NTSC video mode (not region) through video selector software, and enable high def support in the Xbox video settings menu.

4. wayblack

wayblack

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi M41A

Thanks for your reply, I know that people do post these sort of questions all the time but I did do a search and couldn't find anyone answering this specific type of question

i.e. I already have Coax output for 5.1 Audio!!! Thus I do not need the AV pack to do this for me

So just to clarify, is it the High DEF AV pack add-on that does some conversion?

In other words the High DEF signal is not output direct from the standard XBOX connector hence the need for the HD pack?

Thanks again for your help

5. m4A1

m4A1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Bruv, the AV pack is definately needed, regardless of whether you've done the coaxial mod. The AV Box is an adaptor to enable Hi-Def.

It ain't that expensive man.

6. wayblack

wayblack

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks

Thats fine I was not worried abot the expense, just trying to keep connections and boxes to a minimum got loads of cables at the back of my setup as it is.

but now that its official I am ordering today

Thanks again

7. m4A1

m4A1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The back of my setup is trully pathetic. Since I have glass racks, that doesn't help with hiding the mess. I have my TV in a corner position which helps alot though.