1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do I need the LFE channel?

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by Jackam, Oct 27, 2004.

1. Jackam

Jackam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, I'm totally new to this forum and subwoofers, but hope to get the benefit of your collective experience.

I have just bought a REL Strata 5, which is working perfectly with 2 ch stereo using the high level connection, the trouble comes with the LFE channel on music DVD's (not DVD audio). I find the mix using LFE too overpowering, so I mute the subwoofer via the remote. However, should I be changing the set-up at source (i.e. my decoder) to 'no subwoofer'? I dont know why music DVD's use the LFE channel at all, am I missing something?

Many thanks...

2. Stellavision

Stellavision

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +75
    There is no lfe channel when using 2 channel stereo. When connected by high level inputs the sub will just underpin your mains below their roll off or below wherever you have the crossover set. If you are using full range speakers, some audiophiles beleive a sub should be disabled at the source. Some subs can even enhance the best full range floorstanders. The organ solo Toccatta and Fugue for instance would be an example of where music requires very low extension and a sub could come in very useful.
    If you are using smaller speakers like satelites or standmounts you will lose all frequencies below their capabilities.
    If you do decide to not use your subwoofer at all, you should ensure it is dissabled on your amp/proccessor so it can send all frequency information to your mains.

3. samtonyclarke

samtonyclarke

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    OK, what are high level inputs? I want to use the sub when listening to stereo music. What way should I hook it up?

4. Stellavision

Stellavision

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +75
    High level outputs allow you to connect an amp to a subwoofer via speaker cable, and then from the sub to your main speakers with speaker cable. The crossover point is adjusted on the sub.
    Low level input is via RCA plug sent from the amp/proccessor's lfe out to the sub. You would then usually disable the subs crossover and use you proccessor to do it.

5. samtonyclarke

samtonyclarke

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers,
    But I'm still confused. I've got a denon 3802 and a sub with low level inputs (two). My amp as stereo pre-amp output and a woofer output rca. I reckon I should connect up via the woofer ouput but I'm afraid that when I listen to stereo music the sub won't be used?

If I hook it up the other way then it will be used for stereo music but dolby 5.1 won't be corrrectly decoded for the sub channel?

Is the above possible?

6. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    If you connect via the low level phono output only and set your speakers in the amp's bass management to small you should find that the sub still works when listening in stereo

7. Stellavision

Stellavision

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +75
    To make correct use of Dolby 5.1 you do need to use your amps rca out.
    As Ian says, you can still enjoy stereo music via an rca (low level input) and just set your speakers to small, which will then send all frequencies below your crossover point to your subwoofer.
    Thats how most peoples are hooked up, including mine, and stereo and movie watching are equally as rewarding.