Question Do I Need The Best Picture Quality?

russellhq

Standard Member
Reaction score
I bought a Samsung LE40C580 some years ago (after reviews on this site), but with new sets coming out with the latest tech, I'm scratching that itch and looking at new TVs.

Things like 'local dimming', 'backlight', UHD, DCI-P3, nits, HDR, 10 bits, 4K, OLED, Dolby Vision etc... are enough to make a man go moist but do i really need the best?

I've almost convinced myself I should go and buy a panny 902B 58" version (65" will never fly), but do I really need such a good set?

I'm certain I want a bigger screen, my viewing distance has changed since I bought the Sammy and I now sit 16 feet from the TV, so the 40" screen looks a tad small. I only watch freeview and the occasional show on Netflix/Prime (over fibre BB), I don't own a bluray player. So is all this PQ tech wasted on me?

There have been comparisons made between the quality level of different sources and to make it brief the order is something like this: HD streaming>UHD streaming=>HD Blu-ray> UHD Blu-ray.

In other words probably not worth getting a set that expensive without getting a UHD Blu-ray player.

Having said that there is HDR and it's becoming increasingly popular on prime and netflix so it's not like you will be disappointed.

A good analogy would perhaps compare buying a DX902 for just streaming would be like buying a supercar for cruising round the town. You won't see it's full capability but that's not to say it won't be enjoyable.

Great analogy, bang on

I'm certain I want 4k and a bigger screen. 55" is probably enough.

I've looked at viewing distance charts, and they say at my viewing distance, 16', 720p is not noticeable on a 40" screen (current set-up), but I can clearly see the difference between HD and non-HD channels on freeview. Also, with the higher resolution, my media centre display looks better. So stands to reason, I'll see an improvement with 4K.

With those decisions out the way, there's still a myriad of specs to decide on. Obviously, the ones that give the biggest visual impact are the ones to go for, but which ones are they?

Given that most of my watching will be daytime in a well lit room, and I'm never going to have a cinema type set-up: do I need a great 'blacks' performer, probably not. What would have more impact for me would be something that doesn't reflect as much as my current TV, if that's possible, and something with good viewing angles (to be fair, I don't see any faults with my current TV regarding viewing angles).

Colour reproduction is probably not high on my list either. I'm certainly not a purist, so doubt i'd notice a difference, or if I did that I would say "wow".

Also, sounds not a problem, as I've an amp for that when I can be bothered to turn it on...

It really depends where your priority lays, if you aren't too bothered about HDR then it makes it a lot easier to save money. Given that HDR viewing isn't going to be great in a light room anyway.

You mentioned viewing angles, well most LCD TVs now use a panel type that has awful viewing angles. You'll see color degradation as soon as you reach a 45 degree angle from the screen. In that regard OLED TVs are better.

There are also models that have older LCD panels like this year's LG SUHD TVs and the Sony XD85 which still have the better viewing angles but worse black's.

In all honesty one of these TVs will be fine for mostly day time viewing. You won't get as great contrast or color as other TVs but if you need viewing angle and you think money would be wasted on an OLED TV then It makes sense.

As for reflections, this year's Samsung's help that by having new tech related to his moth eyes work but once again by having this you'll be limited to the 45 degree angle before the picture gets worse.

Yep, TVs in some respects have gone backwards which is probably why I haven't justified replacing my 8 year old Samsung yet.

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom