Do I need quad core?

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by kazaam, Apr 16, 2016.

Tags:
?
  1. Yes

1 vote(s)
    14.3%
  2. No

6 vote(s)
    85.7%
  1. kazaam

kazaam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Hi,

I have ordered a Dell XPS 13 with i7-6500U processor, 512GB SSD, 16GB RAM. It is for general daily use - multitasking with internet, emails, word processing, etc. No gaming. No video-editing. I am replacing my current 2010 Dell studio which has intel centrino 2.

Anyway, I saw that the XPS 15 has the quad core i7-6700HQ. For my usage, can anyone confirm whether I would ever see the benefit of the quad core? I realise it would probably use much more battery life also, and I would have to upgrade in size.

Just wanting to make sure I won't regret the i7-6500U in the XPS 13 because I want this to last.

2. EndlessWaves

EndlessWaves
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,338
    You certainly don't need it. The more difficult question is whether you'd benefit from it.

Why are you replacing your current laptop? If it's not due to an insufficiently powerful processor then I wouldn't bother opting for the higher power models if their downsides matter to you.

3. kazaam

kazaam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I'm replacing my current studio 15 (specs below) because it gets very hot easily and I cleaned it out recently but the issue returned quickly. It slows down and when multitasking opening a few tabs and multiple PDFs etc it slows down. Task manager shows near max RAM usage in these scenarios with fluctuating CPU usage. It sounds like a helicopter when it gets going. It is really hindering my productivity and I would rather not spend too much more time and money trying to sort a 6 year old laptop
    Planning to give current laptop to my dad because our desktop just went buggered with random errors on boot. He only needs word, excel and internet browsing without much multitasking.

Specs of current laptop from 2010:
    Dell studio 15
    Intel Core 2 Duo Processor P8600(2.40GHz,1066MHz,3MB)
    512 MB ATI Mobility RADEON HD 4570
    4GB DDR2 RAM
    1080p screen
    256GB SSD which I installed myself over a year ago

Last edited: Apr 17, 2016
  4. LJx

LJx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +435
    do you want a 13 or 15 inch laptop? thats going to have a bigger impact on your user experience than the processor. I have an i7 quad core laptop and I have never noticed any difference from the i3 it replaced

5. kazaam

kazaam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I think I would quite like the 13 inch. Will take some getting used to going from my 15 inch studio but I plan to get a monitor if it becomes an issue...which I doubt it will. I like to use my laptop on my bed and sofa quite a lot so I think the 13 inch wold be ideal.

I ended up ordering the XPS 13 i7-6500U, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD, QuadHD Infinity touch display