1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do I need newtrik connector if I'm already using subwoofer cable?

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by Dr.Rock, May 31, 2005.

1. Dr.Rock

Dr.Rock

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    My speaker setup is REL Q150E subwoofer with Mission M72 cinema speakers package. I am using the single subwoofer cable from my amp to subwoofer, and all speakers set to "small" with crossover frequence 80 Hz.

However, REL recommends that in addition to the the single LFE, we should also connect the main speakers (FL and FR) to the neutrik/speakon connector on the sub, and set the mains as large, so any LFE on the mains channels will go through the sub. Can someone tell me what's the point in that arrangement? Surely, if I set my mains as "small" then the LFE which was originally intended for that would be dvered to the sub anyway through the single subwoofer cable without needing the extra neutrk/speakon connections.

Thanks.

2. largenogin

largenogin
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Its mainly so that when you listen in Stereo you can set a different cross over level for your front speakers. Those with a larger front pair of speakers can let the sub come in a bit lower down the frequency range for stereo music via the speakon connector than they do for films via the pre out sub cable. Some people do think that better results are gained letting a large pair of front speakers do a bit more of the base work for films too.

3. bob1

bob1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +129
    Lfe is a separate channel so you wouldn't get anything on the other speakers unless you select no sub.
    Your right about setting the speakers to small the amp will send any bass below the crossover point to the sub.
    I can see the advantage for using the connection for music like largenogin has said so you can have setting for film and music.
    Its allways best to to try different settings to get the best out of the sub, it might just sound better,you just don't know until you try.