1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do I need new Card for SKY+

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by ANDY_DUTTON, Aug 24, 2004.

1. ANDY_DUTTON

ANDY_DUTTON

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +87
    HI,

A friend Currently has a SKY system running in Portugal. He has asked if it is possible to change his panasonic set top box to a SKY+ box without changing the card. I think he will need a new card but I am not sure. Does anyone know.

The reason he wants to do this is the old box's PSU is on its last legs and he wants to replace with SKY+ it but having SKY install it will mean getting it all installed at some UK address then shipping it all to Portugal which is a pain.

Thanks for any help you can give me.

Andrew

2. andymc

andymc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Andy

I did not have a new card BUT you have to have the Sky+ option activated or something like that before you can record anything. I think they are looking for you to have a telephone line connection. I remember having to call them to get it all sorted out.

I bought my box seperately and could use it as a normal Sky reciever but I had to have a 2nd thingy (I think its called a LNB) added to my dish to use the record facility and it did not work until the engineers had been.

Hope this helps??

Cheers

Andy Cuthbert

3. AV Junky

AV Junky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +67
    Subscription card is the same. Sky have to activate the recording facility before you can use it. Not sure if they require a new contract when going over to Sky+ (and therefore telephone connection).

Maybe situation has improved now, but this time last year the only way to get a Sky+ box was to order from Sky, as no one else could obtain stock.

4. uk_jih

uk_jih

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    If you buy your Sky+ from an independent company then Sky can not force you to connect the box to a telephone line.

However, to activate the Sky+ recording function, Sky will only send the activation signal down a telephone line. So be aware of this.

5. Barry.NI

Barry.NI

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    My SKY+ box inadvertantly became disconnected from the agreed telephone line in my house. I received a letter from SKY+ advising that if I did not reconnect the line within seven days I would lose my preferred second box rate. I have friends who have tried to get a SKY contract in the U.K., and then to transport the box back and forwards to Mallorca, apart from the wear and tear on the box, plus airline security problems, it has never worked out. Tell you friend to bite the bullet and have a proper installation

6. sparkybun

sparkybun

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    Hi,

It's not true about buying SKY+ from an independent. I bought SKY+ from these forums and it is not connected to a telephone line and it was activated over the satellite no problems. Works fine.

Thanks

Mel

7. ANDY_DUTTON

ANDY_DUTTON

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +87
    The problem is not that he is not prepared to have SKY install it in Portugal. They won't do installations in Portugal so the UK contract way is the only solution. It has worked for an ordinary SKY set to box for years. If it can be upgraded via satelite without a telephone connection then the SKY + should work OK.

Andrew

8. uk_jih

uk_jih

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Barry.NI has Sky multiroom setup (mirror sub), for this a telephone connection is mandatory permanently on both boxes.

For normal Sky+, this is only mandatory for the first year, after that there is no requirement for the phone line. If the box is bought from an independent company, Sky cannot enforce the telephone connection.

My friends in Germany, came back to the UK for a weekend with just their viewing card, picked up the new Sky+ box and connected it all up at my place, called sky, got it activated and took it back on Sunday night. Bob's your uncle - Everything worked.

The Sky+ recording function is not activated over the satellite, only over the phone.

9. iansums

iansums

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
  10. ANDY_DUTTON

ANDY_DUTTON

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +87
    Uk_JIH.

Thanks for your reply.

Do you know if the SKY CARD needs to be registered at the address where the update is done, as my friend has his card registered at a friends house who doesn't actually have a SKY installation.

i.e will they check that the phone line the box is connected to is at the address the contract is set up for. If not then I can just get a box for him then he can come over with the card and get it activated.

Regards,
    Andrew

11. uk_jih

uk_jih

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Good question, I think that there is a strong possibility that sky can not see the phone number. You can always set the prefix in the box to 141 so that it does not show the number and then sky would be none the wiser.

12. Fernsehman

Fernsehman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    As sparkybun pointed out, the recording function is activated via satellite. You do NOT need a phone connection for this. The phone connection is only ever used for Sky to get information FROM the Digibox. There is no reason why you can't buy a SKY+ Digibox and suitable LNB from an independent, connect up to your dish, phone Sky and get the card reactivated with full recording functions. Just don't let them know you are outside the UK. Make an excuse; tell them you are in a listed building and can't run a phone line to the room where it's installed.