1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do I need more amplification?

Discussion in 'AV Pre-Amp/Processors & Power Amps' started by matblack, Apr 22, 2005.

1. matblack

matblack

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Hi guys

I am starting to ramp up my 5.1 system and have hopefully secured some new speakers, but I am now worried that my amp won't be up to the job and if this is the case I need to know what to do :confused:

I currently have a Marantz SR5400 currently running

Q95C
    Q30 (F L&R)
    Cresta 1 (R L&R)

I have an offer on some Kef Ref 103/4s which I would like to use as F L&R and move the Q30s to the rear with one Cresta as a centre rear (rarely used) and keep the Q95C with the thought of changing to a 200C and moving the Q95C to the rear centre at a later date.

I know from my research that the 103/4s have a reputation as being hard to drive, if I were to use some kind of pass through arrangement to some sort of stereo power amp would this also improve the powering of the other components?

I plan to run the mix setting on the Marantz which allows the front speakers to do some of the Bass work I think, rather than set these beauties to small.

Question is will the SR5400 be up the job and if not what is the solution? I have a limited budget but I love my Kefs :)

Hope that makes sence many thanks in advance

MB