do i need legal cover?

Discussion in 'Motoring' started by reevesy, Feb 12, 2009.

1. reevesy

reevesy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,178
    hi all,
    i've just been getting some online car insurance quotes and i've noticed nearly all of the results coming up are showing no legal cover included which i thought was a bit strange as they've always been keen to sell it in the past.

.....must be costing them too much money?

.... i suppose with all the 'wheres theres blame theres a claim' mentality about,people are going to sting you a couple of grand for whip lash at the slightest knock....but question is do we really need it?

or should i not bother with it?

2. V70SES

V70SES
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +79
    My household contents cover has this built in for cars , I don't bother now with seperate cover from car insurers .

3. Ron240

Ron240

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +472
    I have never personally needed it, but i would never take out car insurance without it.
    It covers you for things like, if you are hit by an uninsured driver. Or, and this can be an expensive one if your not covered - a third party attempts to sue you for damages as the result of an accident - you would need to defend this yourself if you never had legal cover. Can also work the opposite way as well.
    It only adds around £25 to most policies, so its not much, and well worth having IMO. You made the point of being stung for a couple of grand, so would you like to pay that out of your own pocket? ;) That would obviously only happen as a result of a personal action against you, and not your insurance company....but the resulting costs could be much higher.

I have never heard of this being offered as part of house insurance, but if its like for like, then obviously no point in paying for both.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2009
  4. t72bogie

t72bogie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +532
    always !

i was in an accident last year, it turned out to be my fault - if I didnt have legal cover I would probably be bankrupt now :(

without going into the detail (too long to explain on here) if you have an accident and someone else is injured you could be sued for tens of thousands of pounds ...just a car with 4 occupants in a parking shunt 50/50 blame will cost you £10K or more these days...thats before you run into £200 an hour solicitors and such like that add another £5-10K on your bill

if you have say £100K of equity in your home you dont mind pulling out if you have an accident then sure, save that £25 on your car insurance each year ...personally I would never be without it ...its the smallest price to pay, for piece of mind when the worst happens....after all, isnt that what insurance is about? :thumbsup:

5. Member 55145

Member 55145
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,483
    i never understood this, whats 3rd party for then?

i think the reason insurers remove it is to make them look cheaper. i dont bother with it myself as my insurer should cover me for any bills other than my own car or damage to myself (3rd party F&T)

I thought that was the whole idea of third party being the minimum cover by law as it covers you hurting another?

EDIT: Just read this site. legal cover is for your costs if you have to claim against someone else. not if they are claiming against you (which your 3rd party should cover)
    http://www.yourmotorinsurance.co.uk/advice_what_is_legal_cover.htm

Last edited: Feb 13, 2009
  6. reevesy

reevesy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,178
    cheers for the replys.....
    i had'nt thought about uninsured drivers.....my local rag is full of convictions by people of the east european persuasion who don't seem to bother with it :rolleyes:

jagoplasma.....interesting what you posted about legal cover being about what i would want to claim.....not the other way round.