• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

do I need headphones / amp to go with Sony NWZ A818?

lippi

Standard Member
Hi folks,

I have just purchased the A818 from Sony and love it so far. Headphones that come with it are ok, sound fine and will do me for basic portability. However I would prefer some over-the-head cans to use with this aswell as my with my TV when watching movies and playing xbox.

So, with a budget of a couple of hundred quid, can I get some decent cans, to use with both (that dont look ridiculous on someone with a shaved head sitting on the train!) and will I need an amp for using them on the Sony. I dont know too much about this, so feel free to make any reccomendations on where I should go from here, I just want to get as good SQ as I possibly can within my budget and dont really want any IEMs, although I am willing to give them a try.

My question really is, will £200 make much difference? I will spend more in the future, but looking for opinions on the best first step into getting the ultimate portable setup and initially getting the most out of the Sony A818

cheers

daveb975

Distinguished Member
Hi folks,

My question really is, will £200 make much difference? I will spend more in the future, but looking for opinions on the best first step into getting the ultimate portable setup and initially getting the most out of the Sony A818

cheers

£200 will definitely make a difference! I needed portability, so bought a pair of Sennheiser SE530 earphones. These are a big step up on the standard Sony earphones.

I am not an expert on over-ear headphones and amps, but I would have thought you would be able to do better still.

mattski73

One of my favourite full size but portable headphones, is the Sennheiser HD25-1's. I had mine for 11 years and i'm still in love with them. They're easy enough to drive without an amp.

the best thing about the 25-1's (now the HD25-1 II) is their ability to cut out ambient noise without any noise cancelling technology. They are truly an amazing pair of headphones. And don't let the price feel like your getting a pair of something cheap. I paid £165 for mine.

As for a portable amp, try a cmoy or C&C. I've got a Go-vibe V5, but for some reason i can't get on the website.

lippi

Standard Member
Thanks guys.

Mattski, Ive been looking at the HD 25's and I think you have just convinced me to take the plunge :)

Sort the phones out first then an amp all in good time me thinks!

Evad

Standard Member
I've been using a pair of hd25-1 for the last few years and after trying out various other iem's always end up going back to these. Currently using them unapmed with a sony nw-a808 a combination which sounds superb to me. Have tried using a cmoy amp with this combination and found it did sound a bit different but not necessarily better.

lippi

Standard Member
I've been using a pair of hd25-1 for the last few years and after trying out various other iem's always end up going back to these. Currently using them unapmed with a sony nw-a808 a combination which sounds superb to me. Have tried using a cmoy amp with this combination and found it did sound a bit different but not necessarily better.

Thats interesting, I havent been able to decide yet which way to go.

Im thinking either the HD 25-II or get Sennheiser HD595's (have seen them for £70) with some sort of amp. Its difficult when you havent got a specific requirement from a headphone. Im just looking for the best sound quality and soundstage.

To be fair I think for entry level 1st purchase of anything resembling decent audio equipment, Ill be impressed suitably either way :)

Evad

Standard Member
I wouldn't recomend getting the hd595 if you intend using them in a noisy environment like a train with them being open backed, might be worth working out the sort of sound you like, bass driven, detailed etc... and then have a look at some headphones specific forum's few a few more ideas. If you can get to listen to some I'd definitely recomend it.

Socrates

Grado SR60's with out an amp.

Or SR80's and above with an Amp.

Get a Hornet imported from the States. Headfi classifieds always have them.

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom