Do I need HDMI?

Deleted member 29355

Reaction score
OK....have searched other threads for this answer without luck. And please excuse me......I'm a bit of a technophobe...........

I have the chance of picking up an LG RZ37LZ31 LCD screen for silly money. And I mean REALLY silly money.

On checking the specs, I see it has DVI input, but no HDMI.

My current kit is Sky+, Samsung all in one DVD/Home cinema ........but I hope to take up Sky HD quite early.

How will the lack of HDMI affect me?

You can buy HDMI to DVI cables so you can still use this connection from an appropriate player. You can use the component inputs and outputs to get the best quality connection at the moment. So no you dont need HDMI. When SKY starts its HD transmissions it will be via component and HDMI which that TV should accept.

According to the LG web site this display is "HD Ready" and the DVI input does have the necessary HDCP copy protection.

As such this display should work okay with Sky-HD and upscaling DVD players etc.

All you should need is a cable with HDMI at one end and DVI at the other to connect the Sky-HD box.

Thx guys.

So.....If someone told you you could get this TV for just £500, would you snap it up?.

Not dodgy.................genuine deal from friend of a friend.

For £500...i would.

For £500 it's got to be worth it. I've got the 32" version, and whilst it will never set the world on fire, murky grey where it should be crisp and black with detail in the shadows, posterization, picture noise, other PQ faults too many to list, ie it's crap, but I'd still buy the 37 for £500. It does make a fairly decent PC monitor.

Evil Engineer said:
All you should need is a cable with HDMI at one end and DVI at the other to connect the Sky-HD box.

hi if i get a cable HDMI to DVI will the audio work also i got the same tv?

thanks

DVI doesnt carry the audio but the TV should have a sound input (Mines a 3.5mm jack and you can buy phono>3.5mm jack convertors on Ebay for about £2)

it does have a sound input but dont think it will let me choose to use dvi and another input at the same time,

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom