Do I need HDMI for a Reciever?

Joe563

Standard Member
Hey guys im looking to buy a new reciever and was wondering if i really need the HDMI ports, what could this offer thats good? The HDTV im gettin LG 37LC2D only has 1 HDMI port

Also if I buy a reciever now would it be compatable with Dolby TrueHD when it comes out or what? Im clueless

sbowler

A receiver will play DD true HD sound formats just via the phono outputs into the RCVR its just that HDMI allows an easier connection and reduced tangle of cables.

Adam Shaw

Novice Member
A receiver will play DD true HD sound formats just via the phono outputs into the RCVR its just that HDMI allows an easier connection and reduced tangle of cables.
I was under the impression this required a 7.1 analogue input, whereas many amps only have a 5.1 analogue input.
For amps that will accedpt Tru-HD by the HDMI inputs, there's nothing out there at the momentthat I know of, any ideas?

Knyght_byte

Novice Member
cheaper HDMI amps only switch the video signal coming in via HDMI...they dont upscale analogue video sources and they wont strip the sound from the HDMI signal to process in the amp, they will only pass it on to the TV

midprice HDMI amps are now coming out that can upconvert analogue (altho in some cases only component i believe) to HDMI as well as switch HDMI....its 50/50 as to whether it can strip and process the audio in the amp, altho only standard definition audio as in Dolby Digital 5.1/EX and DTS 5.1/6.1 (and standard stereo)...a few are now available with more than 2 HDMI inputs which is useful for people with lots of HDMI capable devices

some of the more upper price mid tier amps and upwards to the flagship models have full HDMI abilities in respect to video, they can upconvert everything, upscale images etc.........they still dont do native Dolby TrueHD or DTS Master onboard decoding however, but if they state LPCM via HDMI then they can let you get away with the player doing the decoding but sending the signal repackaged as high quality PCM signal via HDMI.....otherwise, as with all the cheaper amps, you'll need to use 6 or 8 channel analogue connections.....most cheaper/midprice amps will only have 6 channel.....some midprice and most upper tier amps have 8 channel inputs....however so far only one model of HD player (forget if its Panasonic or Pioneer now) has an 8 channel output...the others only have 6 channel......

to answer your question tho, if you need HDMI just for switching HDMI video sources, then dont worry about it in your amp, get an amp that sounds good, then buy a HDMI switchbox (like a multi Scart box).......if you want to send audio via it, you either need one of the few mid price models that strip the audio off, or if you need HD audio then you need a more expensive model that states LPCM via HDMI....

i'd really worry more first about finding amps that suit your speakers ;)

Joe563

Standard Member
my my my knyght byte u seem extrememly knowledgeable in respect to av equipment, thanx for all the info guys. well it looks like i'll have to wait sometime till all this new technology comes down in price but at the moment im happy with what i got. Jus gotta look for that HDMI switch box now.

thanks again people