Do I need HDCP?

shaneh

Standard Member
Hi all,
can somebosy help clarify HDCP and what's it used for.

Currently I have an XFX 7600GT graphics card that doesn't support HDCP. I have a Sony 40W2000 TV enroute in the post which has HDCP compliant HDMI inputs. I will be connecting the PC to the TV via a Sony STR3200ES receiver using a DVI -> HDMI cable (PC - receiver) and HDMI -> HDMI (receiver - TV)

1) Does my graphics card need to be HDCP compliant to allow PC connection to TV?
2) Is it possible to make the graphics card HDCP compliant using a software upgrade or does require additional hardware on card
3) I will not be watching HD or Blu-ray material from the PC. Only games and SD DVD.

Cheers
Shane

AML

If you are not going to watch Blu Rays or HD DVDs then you dont need to worry about HDCP.

It wont matter if your TV/monitor is HDCP and your card isnt.

(my monitor happens to be HDCP but my card aint and it still works)

HDCP is exlusively for the 2 HD formats, blu ray and HD DVD.

Nothing else uses HDCP, not even DVDs.

Its always possible that HDCP will be used more in the future by other stuff, but its unlikely to happen any time soon so you dont need to worry about it.

Knyght_byte

Distinguished Member
the answer is not strictly correct, HDCP isnt just for HD-DVD/BR......my Denon DVD player wont connect via HDMI to a display that isnt HDCP enabled for upscaling purposes....I had to be careful when buying my projector because of this.....

however the display shouldnt care if the source has no HDCP as the previous poster said.......unless you do try to pass BR/HD-DVD, if there is a missing link then it wont happen...

Miyazaki

Distinguished Member
I thought that the ICT element wasn't being implemented until 2012 anyway with BR/HDDVD?

Chances are you'll get a new pc within 5 years.

Don't worry about it.

AML

the answer is not strictly correct, HDCP isnt just for HD-DVD/BR......my Denon DVD player wont connect via HDMI to a display that isnt HDCP enabled for upscaling purposes....I had to be careful when buying my projector because of this.....

however the display shouldnt care if the source has no HDCP as the previous poster said.......unless you do try to pass BR/HD-DVD, if there is a missing link then it wont happen...

Your right about the DVD player. My denon 3910 also uses HDCP through HDMI/DVI-D so you do need an HDCP telly to use that player.

There are a few DVD players out there that upscale the picture through HDMI. And because HDMI uses HDCP the TV also needs to be HDCP.

Good news is that if your display has an HDMI input it will also support HDCP.

PC wise, you dont need to worry about it.

And since you are getting an new sony set it will most defo have an HDMI with HDCP so in that respect your set is future proof. (if you decide to get an HD player you will be able to use it no probs.)

Also just wanted to point out that your current PC is not HDCP compliant but your new set is. In the future if you want to use Blu Ray or HD DVD through your PC you will either need to upgrade to an HDCP compliant PC or use software like Sly Foxes "Any DVD HD" that gets rid of the content protection crap.
(my personal choice since im not going to spend a fortune trying to make my PC HDCP compliant.)
Currently I can watch both Blu Rays and HD DVDs through my PC even though its not HDCP compliant.

:)

shaneh

Standard Member
Cheers guys,
HD and Blu-Ray is a bit in the future for me. SD DVD is fine for the moment so it looks like I'm good to go. Picking up TV tonight so will let ye know how good games and Ron Burgandy look next week!!!
Shane

shaneh

Standard Member
Hi guys,
got the TV last night so tested it. Got 1080P outta the PC and into TV no probs. Sweet!
Cheers
Shane

AML

Hi guys,
got the TV last night so tested it. Got 1080P outta the PC and into TV no probs. Sweet!
Cheers
Shane

Good stuff! :thumbsup:

im sorta thinking of doing the same with my PC and my Pj.

Games must look amazing on a 100" screen! :D

The latest video from AVForums

AVForums Movies Podcast: Which is the best decade for horror movies?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom