Do I need good editing formats if I have HDD-DVDR?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by alanfcross, Mar 13, 2005.

1. alanfcross

alanfcross

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thinking about the way I might use a HDD-DVDR, I would record to HD, edit/delete as I please, and then transfer any edited material I really want to keep on to DVD-R (with the benefit of near universal playback compatibility). The Panasonics record DVD-RAM (and DVD-R) - my question is, how would DVD-RAM be of benefit in my usage scenario? Or in anybody's?
    Just hoping to make the right decision in the next few weeks! TIA.

2. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,267
    If you go for a HDD/DVDR combi your use for re-writeable media of any format will be limited: if your like everyone else you will end up using the HDD for timeshifting/editing (etc) and then dub to universally compatible DVD-R.

You will probably have little use for it. The potential uses are:
    - Transferring the recordings to a PC in VR mode
    - Temporary storage whilst you format your machine's HDD or whilst compiling episodes of a TV series
    - High reliability backups

If your thinking of getting a DVD recorder ensure you check the 'Which DVD Recorder?' link in my signature!

3. alanfcross

alanfcross

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks, yes I have read your very useful articles, and take the points in your reply. I still can't help feeling that DVD-RAM was a good choice for manyfacturers to go for before the days of the HDD machines. Now I'm not so sure. However, I'm interested in the new Panasonic DMR-EH50, which seems to do most formats, so options wide open (it will also play JPEG CDs - new to Panasonic) and that's a big bonus for me. Out soon, I hope!

4. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,267
    Yes - that's a fair enough point. If you buy a HDD/DVDR odds are you will never need more than a couple DVD-RAMs - but why should that bother you? See the recorder as a HDD/DVD-R machine if that makes you feel better!

The multi-format support on the new Panasonic's is always nice - but in real world terms it isn't going to make the end product of your machine significantly more compatible. DVD-R is more compatible than DVD+R - so you already have that capability. The DVD-RW is either an issue to you (in which case you would probably be looking at Toshiba/Pioneer models now) or it is not. So multi-format is nice but not essential. If you worred about 'long term' you will probably find compatible DVD-RW becomes harder to get long before DVD-RAM disappears.

5. gmr

gmr
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I thought the same as you, but found I use them quite a lot for longer term storage (amazing how quickly you can use up 80GB!). And as rasczak says, nice and handy for getting files across to the PC. Although you can use RW, I don't find it as convenient.
    Cheers
    Gidon