Do I need full packaging for a return?

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by John Jennings, Feb 11, 2002.

1. John Jennings

John Jennings

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Do I need packaging for a return?
    After having had my faulty TV repaired twice without any joy I finally got Unbeatable to agree to replace it (they actually wanted to attempt a third repair but I was having none of it!).

They've told me that I need the original packaging to get the replacement.

I've still got the box and manuals, but most of the polystyrene inserts were destroyed during the unpacking when I first got it.
    Should I expect them to get assy when they collect it? If they do get assy do they have any legal right to demand the full packaging?

If I was just returning the telly because I didn't like it I think they'd have a point. But the fact is that it's faulty, so I don't see why they should demand the packaging returned in an 'as new' state when the TV most certainly isn't (it's faulty!).

Anyone got experience in these matters?

John

2. bjd

bjd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +711
    Well, one thing you could do is repack the old TV in the new ones packing.....slip the delivery guys a fiver ;)

3. John Jennings

John Jennings

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Unfortunately my old one has to go back before they'll send out the new one. Bunch of jobsworths :rolleyes:

4. HBK757

HBK757
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    DO NOT let them tell you that you need the old packaging in order to get a new tv and send the broken one back. I was in this situation with tv+video direct and they simply told me to take the new tv out of the packaging and put the broken tv in there. They cannot refuse you a replacement or refund because you didn't keep the original packaging. Even though they would have you believe this. Just tell them what your rights are as a consumer.

You have the box + manual and believe me the majority of people throw away ALL packaging.

5. m@rk

[email protected]

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +374
    As the set is faulty, you cannot return it in 'as new' condition as by their own admission, it isn't as new.

The packaging is just that, packaging. You didn't pay extra for it did you?

As long as you can return ALL the contents (instructions, leads, manuals, remotes etc) then they haven't got a leg to stand on.

You are right in what you say though. If you were returning it because you didn't like it, they would have to try and resell it and as such could demand it being in the origional packaging.

It is not reasonable to hold onto packaging in a house due to the space it will take up.

Stick to your guns.

6. Markster

Markster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    HBK is quite right

The TV packaging is extremely large and is what is consider 'unreasonable' for you to have kept this.

One issue could be if this was specifically specified to you in writing at the time of purchase.(one of the speaker manufacturers i believe it is mission do actually have a rule about keeping packaging I believe).

I suggest you check the T&C in case they have something about this in there.
    Even if they do however I would not worry to much, because the fact the product is 'faulty' they would be unable to enforce this in this case anyway.

HTH

7. shaunthedude

shaunthedude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i have returned 4 tvs to currys and not once did they ask for the packaging. the deliveryguys just put it in the van in the new tvs box. no problem at all. they told me it was going back to the manufacturer. if the tv is faulty it is the retailers job to fix or replace it as it is not of merchantable quality and if they refuse you can take them to trading standards. I cant fault currys. within 4 weeks of purchase you can get a new tv or a refund if your tv is faulty. outside of 4 weeks they can try to repair it. BUT, if they cant fix it and get it back in your house within 4 weeks then they give you a replacement or refund. Everyone goes on about high street retailers etc being a pain. going by this website its the cheaper internet dealers that everyone is having problems with. Ive had 5 tvs now off currys. everytime they deliver one, the guys carry it upstairs, assemble it and check it. I cantm praise currys enough for helping me get a trouble free set.

8. John Jennings

John Jennings

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Thanks for the replies chaps, seems I'll be okay then!

BTW, Shaun. You've returned four TVs? Wow, you must have had some really bad luck!

Cheers all,
    John

:)

9. fwan

fwan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just to add a small bit to all this.

I don't think any consumers laws state that faulty goods must be returned in original packing for refund or replacement !

Don't let them push you over !

Good luck !

10. Gerry

Gerry

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    When my 32" W/S was delivered the delivery man took the packaging away with him. I would normally keep the packaging from amps, speakers ect in case of resale but the packaging for the tv was just to big to store in the house. I would be suprised if the lack of packaging was used as an excuse not to refund, replace or whatever and if it is do not stand for it.

11. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Don't let them fob you off by saying you need the packaging - you don't. If the product is faulty then you have the right to get a full refund or a NEW replacement.

I am in the situation at the moment where the retailer is arguing about the fact that I destroyed the box that my faulty Sony TV came in. The fact is that you have to destroy the box in order to get the TV out. It even has instructions on the box on how to unpack the TV and it involves destroying one side of the box.

Its fair enough for the retailer to refuse if you simply changed your mind and there is nothing wrong with the TV.

I often wonder why they want the boxes? Maybe its to re-circulate the sets as new?

J

12. shaunthedude

shaunthedude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i wish id kept the box for my sony fq75 tv. If i had i could have drawn some buttons on it and stuck on a picture of my fav movie. At least then id have a tv that does'nt have a green patch in the corner/ blurred teletext/ flickering at the sides and a stripe that moves across the screen. HEY SONY. great boxes s**t tvs

13. fwan

fwan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    LOL. Shaun,your message made my day !!!:D