1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do I Need Analogue Audio Interconnects

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by TonyPrince, Oct 12, 2004.

1. TonyPrince

TonyPrince

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I know I need an optical digital cable to get 5.1 dolby digital (cetain movies only) from Sky+ to my AV Amp. But do I also need an analogue audio interconnect as well for the majority of Sky TV stereo programs. If the answer is no, would it nevertheless be better in terms of audio quality to also buy/use an audio analogue interconnect.

Same question applies in respect of the DVD player (will use a coaxial digital cable) which will also be used to play standard stereo CD's.

2. BrianC

BrianC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +101
    For Sky you'll be best outputing everything via the optical output.

For your DVD player it would be worth testing it, sometimes the DACs in the DVD player sound better than those in the amp.

3. TonyPrince

TonyPrince

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    BrianC

Many thanks

Where one has both digital and analogue audio cables which source does the av amp output

4. BrianC

BrianC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +101
    I can only comment on yamaha amps as thats all I've owned, but I would guess that the majority of amps work in the same way - that is it defaults to the digital source when present, you'll have to manually switch it to analog, or if you have spare inputs you could run it via those.