Do I need an upgrade? - if so what?

IceAx

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Morning all,

Im after some advice before i potentially spend my monies!

I currently have a Sony KDL48W585BBU which im happy with, but im condisering re-arranging the room and wall mounting the tv and this set isnt very thin. Also im looking to potentally push this to the kids play room so its not a wasted upgrade.

However im going round in circles as to what i should be looking for, after a quick search my favourite set (on paper) is teh Hisense 55M7000 - this would give me an upgrade in size, be thinner and have 4k.

My current sources are Xbox one S, Netflix and Raspberry Pi.

As im looking to wall mount the set and channle all the cables in i want something that i can fit and forget for say 5 years, hence why im a little concerned about doing ti with a set thats already 2 years old.

Thanks for any help

AS

I wouldn't bother upgrading. If you are within a lower budget and want to play Xbox One S you would be better saving up to afford a TV that does a good job with HDR gaming like the Samsung KS series. Next year there may be more affordable HDR tv's too.

You also have to think about viewing distance, its pointless having UHD unless you sit close enough to the tv to notice it.

optimal-viewing-distance-television-graph-size.png

Thanks for the reply.

Im just on the limit for 55" @ about 7ft.

I appear to have found a decent local compnay that can carry out the install for me, so what i will do is discuss future upgrades with them and make sure it would be seamless to swpa the actual tv unit.

Thanks for the reply.

AS

Beware if you are routing cables that in the future its a possibility that tv's will have an external connection box like the Samsung KS series currently do. I have heard people who have already routed their cables who can't use these boxes because of it. Basically you want to make sure that the cables aren't too far away from your sources and that there's the possibility for you to feed new cables through in the future.

Thanks, this was a concern - hence why i was debating an upgrade at the same time and for it to last me another 5 years.

The cable run is a bit nasty unless i can run it externally trunked.

AS

You can't really win tbh. You can get a Samsung KS tv now and route the one connect box but then in the future you may want a tv without a one connect box. Obviously I don't know how you would hide your cables but having the option to pull future wires through would be preferable, whether that's trunking behind the wall or externally. If you get them to run a piece of string or something through too it will make it easy for you to attach a future cable and pull it through yourself in the future.

update on this one, decided to wait for a TV thanks @Dodgexander

Ended up goign for a TV on a full tilt a swivel AVF corner mount - VERY impressed with the bracket.

Easy upgrade too next year when HDR is a better option.

Thanks

Attachments

• 14805547_10157626797915261_1606328698_n.jpg
    14805547_10157626797915261_1606328698_n.jpg
    12.8 KB · Views: 43
What type of wall you fixed that to Mr AX? I'm looking at a cantilever Vonhaus bracket to get extra reach and have a bigger back plate as think my external wall has cinder/thermal blocks behind the plaster; looking at using resin anchor blocks to fix it to the wall.

I'm looking for new tv, but probably get one this year, as will be harder to find older models cheaper and new models will be more expensive especially with falling pound.

update on this one, decided to wait for a TV thanks @Dodgexander

Ended up goign for a TV on a full tilt a swivel AVF corner mount - VERY impressed with the bracket.

Easy upgrade too next year when HDR is a better option.

Thanks
Nice! Sonya from neighbours doesn't look too happy with it though!

Looks a good idea with it fixing on two walls, not sure it would work at mine as not much wall space on one of the walls due to front window; also quite pricey. Who did you get in to fit it and how much? Broome was on about some company for installing his.

Can imagine the shelves would be seen as a set of ladders by my little one, has F not tried climbing it?

Hahah Jeppo - didnt even realise it was you.

I gave Broome the details of the company we used - Av4all | Facebook

The relocated my sky feeds and tv inputs - changed all my socket fronts then hoovered the lounge for me haha, install was £150

No, F hasnt tried climbing it yet so fingers crossed we are passed that now :D

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom