Do I need an HD AVR?

Toadus

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Hey.

I'm just getting into this whole audio thing, so please bear with my novice questions. :lesson:

Like most people, I'm on a budget, and i'm split between 2 options. All I really want is a sound set up which will do my TV some justice. I'm not looking for something which is a serious bit of kit, just a decent set up for enjoying watching movies.

My budget option is as follows:

- Harman Kardon AVR 142
- JBL CS200 speakers (5.1 setup)
- £350 without any stands.

My expensive option: (items bought individually)

- Denon AVR 2310 (£530)
- Kef 5.1 setup (£550)
- Total: £1080

The AVR 142 does not support HD audio, but, I'm using a PS3 as my Blu-ray player. As the PS3 can decode HD audio, does that mean I don't 'require' the HD decoding from the Denon AVR 2310?

Do you think for my needs, that the extra £700 I would need to fork out for the expensive setup would be justified? Would the sound quality from the 2 AVR's be a world apart?

I'm in Dubai, so the prices i've quoted might seem a little odd to you guys back home. ;)

Thanks in advance for any advice. :thumbsup:

why limit your self to those 2 choices? there are plenty of amp and speaker package deals on the go, Richer Sounds, Peter Tyson and the like are doing good deals at the moment.

or there is this (taken from the advertising banner above)

banner link no HD audio, but upgrade to the 467 and there you go.

or these deals between you low and high budget:another banner link!

Last edited:
why limit your self to those 2 choices? there are plenty of amp and speaker package deals on the go, Richer Sounds, Peter Tyson and the like are doing good deals at the moment.

or there is this (taken from the advertising banner above)

banner link no HD audio, but upgrade to the 467 and there you go.

or these deals between you low and high budget:another banner link!

The OP is not in the UK!! If you reread the question.

and... so do they not do those models (or similar) over there?
its was options i was giving him, as well as retailers, some retailers (maybe not the ones i highlighted, never needed to ask) do ship abroad you know! ;)

and actually, to answer the op, i think yes you do need an HD AVR..imo.

Last edited:
and... so do they not do those models (or similar) over there?
its was options i was giving him, as well as retailers, some retailers (maybe not the ones i highlighted, never needed to ask) do ship abroad you know! ;)

and actually, to answer the op, i think yes you do need an HD AVR..imo.

You didn't say that did you!!:p At least you have now!

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom