Answered Do I need an AVR?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by skaboy607, Oct 3, 2017.

Tags:
  1. skaboy607

skaboy607
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Hi,

Potential noob question so apologies in advance but I just want to make sure of something.

I have previously had a basic 5.1 setup with a primitive AVR but now live in a different place which only lends itself to 2.1, 3.1 (max if necessary).

I have been looking at Marantz SR6010 / 6011 as a step up in quality but with all the new technology around wonder if I need it. I wont be using ATMOS / DTS X, certainly not for next 3 years and as mentioned earlier will only use 2.1 / maybe 3.1 setup. It is only 2.4m space where TV & LR speakers are so not sure if centre is even needed.

If it was only music I was interested in putting through then I think amplifier is all that is needed but when multiple sources are required is an AVR the only way to go? My sources are TV, blu ray, PS4, HTPC, & vinyl player.

As an aside if i use TV built in tuner, how can I pass this through an AVR for upscaling?

Thanks in advance for any help.

2. Best Answer:
    Post #14 by Thatsnotmynaim, Oct 8, 2017 (1 points)
  3. rogan2017

rogan2017
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Sounds like it would be your best bet, if you already have a AVR you could always add a power amp, but the Marantz SR6010 would do you nicely imo, peter tyson has a PX in stock for £429, or a new 6011 for £649 ;)

4. Rambles

Rambles
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,108
    You would need an AVR if you wanted to run 3.1 speakers or more, but a stereo amp or receiver would be enough for 2.0 or 2.1. Obviously it would need a subwoofer pre-out connection for the .1.

You would need a dac to connect your digital sources, either one built into the amp or receiver or a separate one.

I think all of your sources should have the option of running an HDMI lead to the TV for video then a digital or analog audio output to the amp for audio.

For the tv you would not need a scaler as the TV would scale any video put into it, plus anything from its own internal tuner. Your tv hopefully has an audio output connection to go to an amplifier, could be analog or digital, a headphone out connection would also work.

Or, you could just connect everything to the TV and then pass the audio out / through the TV to the amp.

5. dante01

dante01
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11,120
    I'd suggest you forget about the centre speaker and just concentrate on getting a 2 channel integrated amplifier, maybe even one with an integrated DAC such as the Marantz PM6006. You could even afford to buy something like the Quad Vena for much the same price as you would have been paying for a Marantx SR6011:

Vena | QUAD | the closest approach to the original sound

Such dedicated stereo amps will outperform any similarly priced multichannel AV receiver when it comes to their stereo performance.

6. skaboy607

skaboy607
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Thanks for the information.

I think my connectivity restrictions will decide this for me at the moment. Only one hdmi and optical ran to the TV wall and only 2 HDMI inputs available on the television.

Old AVR doesn't do audio over HDMI so that has to go! Found the SR6010 on PT yesterday but when I phoned up, they said it's gone :-(. Was a bit concerned with the 30 day warranty compared to the 3 years for new but will keep an eye out for another.

7. GadgetObsessed

GadgetObsessed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,195
    I run 5.1 in one room and 3.0 in another more family oriented room. I find that for TV/film viewing having a centre is much better than having stereo. ("Better" for me, is clarity of dialogue.)

At a given price level, the two amplifiers of a stereo amp are better quality than the 5 or 7 amps within a multichannel receiver. However, I find the advantage of having a centre for clearer dialogue is a more important consideration. Also AV receivers generally are simpler to set up with multiple AV sources as you can run everything through HDMI.

If you listen to a lot of stereo music then the argument would sway back toward having a stereo amp instead.

As far as upscaling is concerned there is no real advantage to using upscaling within a receiver. If you have a 4k TV then everything you watch is upscaled by the TV itself to 4k.

8. Thatsnotmynaim

Thatsnotmynaim

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +842
    Not sure what your budget is or if you have 4k sources, but if your sources are just HD the the Arcam Solo 2.1 may fit your needs and is being discounted in many reputable places currently. It’s a step up from an AVR with a musical pedigree but still with the convenience of an AVR ie hdmi. If you need 4k then it may not be suitable. They also do a similar spec 5.1 version in case there’s a chance you may want 3.1.

9. skaboy607

skaboy607
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    The Arcam Solo 2.1 looks interesting but out of my budget unfortunately and I would like the option for 4k in future - my current TV doesn't allow it.

Is there a better time than any other to buy last years model? Be ideal for the SR6011 to come down to £500 :)

10. Thatsnotmynaim

Thatsnotmynaim

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +842
    The solo 5.1 can be had for £799, but if 4k is a deal breaker then not ideal. I imagine the Arcam will me much better than the 6011 for music.

11. skaboy607

skaboy607
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Ok, i am kind of tempted as realistically not going to have 4k for at least 2 years.

I had planned on Monitor Audio Silver 1 FL, FR, & C speakers - will these be suited to the Arcam?

Will it play vinyl without any other devices? EDIT - I don't think it will without a separate pre amp :-(

Last edited: Oct 4, 2017
  12. Thatsnotmynaim

Thatsnotmynaim

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +842
    Do you already have a record deck, if not just buy one with a phono stage built in. At the end of the day a phono stage is not going to break the bank, the one in an AVR if it has one I bet is worth about £10-20.

13. skaboy607

skaboy607
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I do, I have a Rega RP1. Yea you're probably right. How about those speakers, they be suited to the Arcam?

14. Thatsnotmynaim

Thatsnotmynaim

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +842
    It's hard to say as these things can be very personal and what someones says sounds good others may say sounds pants so only you can really decide after a listen, but I would say the MA S1's technically shouldn't be hard to drive for the Arcam. I also say that I personally sometimes find MA a bit on the harsh or analytical side, but since the Arcam can sometimes be on the slightly softer side so they are probably a good match.

15. Thatsnotmynaim

Thatsnotmynaim

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +842
    Best Answer
    Another option and a system I setup for my mate, is go for a low 4k AVR amp that has pre-outs for at least the fronts and combine this with a HiFi that has HT integration mode / AV processor mode / Uniti gain input, i.e. the AV input can be set to a fixed volume. To be fair if you only want 2 speakers you can easily get away with a HiFi amp that does not even have HT integration.
    This could be a Denon 2300 (typo should read 3300) ~£500 or if you are tight on space the slimline Marantz NR1506 ~£369 or NR1606 as the AVR then add something like a 2nd hand Arcam A18 (with HT mode) as the HiFi amp or a new Marantz PM6006 (without HT mode) ~£279. You then get best of both worlds, plug all your AV gear via the AVR and plug all the stereo gear via the HiFi amp. The HiFi amp drives the speakers in HiFi mode, and the AVR does all the AV switching in AV mode but farms out the LR sound via the HiFi amp (in HT slave mode).

Last edited: Oct 8, 2017
  16. dante01

dante01
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11,120
    Lower tier AV receivers don't ordinarily include pre outs for the main room speaker channels. The AVRX2300 for example only has pre outs for the sub and for the second audio zone left and right channels. Marantz receivers do however include main room left and right pre outs onboard all their AV receivers.

17. Thatsnotmynaim

Thatsnotmynaim

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +842
    Yes sorry that was a typo, I put 2300 then checked and found minimum was 3300, I changed the price to a 3300 but left text as 2300, I think the 3300 can be had for ~£500 the 2300 is obviously cheaper and not suitabel