Do I need an amp with this setup?

rwttm001

Hi guys

Have had my head turned by the Panny 42" PH9, so now it's down either that or the Pio 4270.

I planned on buying an amp (so the limited connectivity of the 4270 isn't an issue) and seperate speakers next year, however obviously I'll need seperate speakers of some type if I go for the PH9. I'll need to connect the following to the panel and speakers for now:

Sky SD box - currently SCART
Tosh 220SD DVD - currently SCART
Ipod - through this kit http://www.smalldog.com/product/39477 - composite
Wii - component

Could some kind soul please inform me of the best/only way to link this all up? I'm pretty sure I'd need an amp, which would probably sway it back to the Pio as my budget won't stretch to panel, speakers and amp all at once. If I can somehow get away with holding off on the amp, even with the occasional cable juggling then I'll probably go for the PH9.

choddo2006

Novice Member
DVD->SCART->Sky->SCART2VGA->PH9 VGA socket
ipod->PH9 composite board (although I'd question if that's worthwhile given the compression and size of screen)
Wii->component (can you get one of those cables??) ->PH9 component board

You'd only need to buy the component board from the supplier of the screen and the SCART->VGA adapter from js-tech.

and optical audio for DVD into amp, and 2xphono stereo into amp for both the others.

rwttm001

DVD->SCART->Sky->SCART2VGA->PH9 VGA socket
ipod->PH9 composite board (although I'd question if that's worthwhile given the compression and size of screen)
Wii->component (can you get one of those cables??) ->PH9 component board

You'd only need to buy the component board from the supplier of the screen and the SCART->VGA adapter from js-tech.

and optical audio for DVD into amp, and 2xphono stereo into amp for both the others.
Thanks Choddo

The sound aspect of the setup was where I was struggling, are you saying that the only way of getting sound for my setup is through an amp?

Sorry for being a little bit of a noob on all this,

choddo2006

Novice Member
Yeah the PH9 can take speakers but they're not much cop so an amp is a far, far better option

Just read your last sentence on the first post there. Have you got a stereo amp you could use short term?

rwttm001

Have you got a stereo amp you could use short term?
Nope, so I'd need a stereo amp and a small speaker/ set of speakers to put me on until I upgrade. So really I'd need something that looks half decent (to get it by the Mrs), is reasonably cheap and won't depreciate too much in the next 12 months.

Could you recommend something? I'm not afraid of the classifieds or eBay for something that's a short term thing.

Thanks very much for your help

choddo2006

Novice Member
Funnily enough, the wife's about to kick our stereo out of our bedroom (small Mission bookshelf speakers, sound pretty good for the size) but no proper amp, so let me know if you're interested, I can look up typical 2nd hand prices and I'll throw the stands in if you need them. I'll check she hasn't got a plan for a 2nd home for them somewhere too :)

amp wise ... anything by Denon or Arcam or Marantz probably more than adequate! Should be able to find a few 2nd hand stereo amps on ebay

MAW

Banned
The internal amp in the PH is not so bad, and every input has a corresponding audio input, scart switching will work too, so it's perfectly possible to just wire the speakers to the plasma. You might be surprised at the results, the PH optional speakers are a bit crap for the money, not quite so much the amp.

rwttm001

Thanks guys, sounds like I can *just* get away without the amp for now.

Think it will be:

Wii - component - sound/video
Ipod - builtin composite board - video/sound
DVD/SKY - scart board - vid/sound

Couple of (possibly stupid) questions:

How would I connect to the speakers from the PH9 - what kind of cable?
Is it a good idea to connect the DVD player to the VGA through a SCART to VGA cable, the DVD player also has component out but I don't think component to VGA would give me any sound.

Thanks a lot guys, almost there!:clap:

rwttm001