1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

do i need a woofer

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by luv ya jen, Apr 6, 2003.

1. luv ya jen

luv ya jen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    at the minute im using a set of eltax jupiter 5.0 speakers £199.99 from currys im very happy with the performance and im wondering if i would be more impressed by adding a sub does it really make that much difference. by the way im running the speakers with a sherwood rd 6103 amp thank you 4 your time (thinking of the a6 atom sub from comet £79.99

2. Howard0000

Howard0000

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +37
    I've heard that using cheap and nasty subwoofers is actually worse than not having one at all....

3. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah, don't bother. I bought a Yamaha subwoofer off a guy on these forums.

It's crap! :) I only use it very very low volume, just to add some detail to my standmounts for music.

I would not use it for AV- it cannot cope.

Agree with Howard, either buy a good one or don't bother.

4. luv ya jen

luv ya jen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    how much would you advise me on spending???

5. dukebox_1st

dukebox_1st
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i was running the liberty 5.0 (eltax) speakers without a sub til a few weeks ago where i added the eltax sub8 (unfort sub10 seems to b discontinued). i felt it made a tremendous difference and deffinatly worth it. to b perfectly blunt i don't seen that it would b worth plumping major money into a sub seems as the rest of ure system is only worth 200 enless u are planning on upgrading the main speakers soon.
    hope this helps
    tom

6. Viker1

Viker1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you plan on using it for home theater to bring out your lows and complete the entire home theater experience, then at least a 10" sub would be necessary. A sub of decent quality, for example a mission ms10, would run you about 250 pounds. Happy hunting!!

7. roofer

roofer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    would reccomend the velodyne vx 10 from uncle eric in the power buys this sub is great value sounds brilliant but you must give it time to run in and its only £ 199

8. sounddog

sounddog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +461
    Hey guys ... this poster has £200 speakers and a £200 amp ... I think we can safely asume therefore he's on a budget ...

Yes a Mission MS10 or Velodyne VX10 sub would be very nice ... but don't you think maybe a little over the top price wise ...

Try looking around for a secondhand Paradigm sub ... the PDR8 or 10 would work well with your setup, arn't too big and are often avaliable secondhand on Loot, eBay or here in the Classified thread. Alternatively Richer Sounds may have one for around £120-150.

The Eltax subs that Richer Sounds sell for <£100 will add some low end stuff, but you'll probably find it quite distorted, etc.

Please ... let us know what you end up doing and how you find it ... a lot of us tend to forget about those on a real restricted budget so its nice to have feedback on how our advise goes.

Vikki

9. Mackster

Mackster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  10. agw_01

agw_01
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Basically, yes... you do need a sub woofer.

I was pretty happy with the output from my Mission 702e speakers, but when I got an Eltax Sub 10 for £60 from RicherSounds, I was totally blown away.

I know most of the people here say "cheap subs are crap" or "having a cheap sub is about as sensible as licking the toilet seat in a public toilet :eek:" but seriously, from what I was expecting from a cheap sub... mine totally blew me away.

If I set the sub up downstairs, it will shake the wardrobes upstairs... bass output is more than enough and I never have to have it over half volume to get a nice amount of bass.

Maybe cheap subs do suck, but from what I have heard, you don't have to spend £££ to get a 10" sub that provides enough punch to keep you smiling, whatever you use it for.

11. sounddog

sounddog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +461
    I'd bite his hand off at that offer - though you'll probably get told off for posting it here!

12. Mackster

Mackster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Only trying to help out, I've seen other people do this in the past.

13. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  14. lynx

lynx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +301
    Try RS for an Eltax sub 10 @ circ £60. They appear to be still in stock at the moment.

15. paulfd

paulfd
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    lmao

:rotfl:

16. SK-67

SK-67
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Mackster

If it is still for sale I would be interested in buying your Paradigm PS-1000, as I live on the Kent / E.Sussex Borders. How old is it, etc?

Cheers,

Simon

17. luv ya jen

luv ya jen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanx 4 all the replies ladsstill not sure what to do i have 80 squid to spend on either a sub or films if i was to go with a sub id get the eltax sub 8 from r-s 79.99

18. luv ya jen

luv ya jen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    just popped into the notts store of r-s asked for a eltax sub and the old r-s curse raised its head "sorry sir weve ran out" the chap then tried to show me another sub a GALE 3070 99.99 IS THIS ONE ANY GOOD?????

19. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    No

Your best bet is a second hand Paradigm. If there isn't one in the classified section now I'm sure that one will be along shortly so don't give up yet and buy something in a hurry that you will regret later

20. agw_01

agw_01
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I paid £60 for my Eltax Sub 10 about 2 weeks ago.

My nearest RS is in Prestwich, and they only had them in on that day... I got the last one :eek: they must be damn popular!

21. MrPumpkinHead

MrPumpkinHead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm currently using a Gale 3080W (£150), happy with it's performance in both music and films.

Also got the 3 year extended warranty which includes the 50% buy back. Seems a good deal to me.

I assume the 3070 will be fairly reasonable, see if your local Richer sounds will let you demo it at home.

22. Ziggy

Ziggy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Im a bit late on this one i think, but never the less.
    I bought a Gale 3070 Sub from R-S and i think its great.
    It makes a hell of a difference to the cinema sound in whole and really gives music a boost (either through the DVD or Sky music channels)
    Its the only sub i've ever owned, so I couldn't really compare it to any others, but i like it.

23. sounddog

sounddog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +461
    jen

Hiya, I've been in Nottingham RS and i'm not at all impressed with them. Their stock seems to be about 2 years behind any of the other RS stores i've been in (Couple in London, Watford, Milton Keynes, and Leicester).

If you have transport I would recomend you try further afield the Leicester branch seems to have a larger range, more second hand as well as new kit and the staff there are very helpful.

Of course others might disagree with this but the Nottingham store really did seem bad to us. They had stuff at say £160 when the other branches were selling the same items for £99.

Steff