1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do I need a tuner?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by steve 111, Oct 21, 2003.

1. steve 111

steve 111
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    If I get a plasma panel, do I need to purchase a tuner if all my TV viewing is done via Sky +?

2. /\/\j17

/\/\j17
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  3. Kazuya Mishima

Kazuya Mishima

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +65
    No, but like me you may need a device that will allow you to connect RGB scart to a non-scart input. Many plasmas now are "plasma TVs" which have more "user-friendly", shall we say, connectivity than the "plasma panel / display".

I own a Panasonic 4-series and required a converter to connect RGB scart to the display's VGA input.

4. Brogan

Brogan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +481
    No.
    Unless you get a Pio HDE series in which case you have no choice as it comes with a "Media Receiver" which has all the interconnect sockets on it.
    The good point of this system is you only have a small, thinnish cable from the media receiver to the display which with the optional cable can be located up to 10 metres away.

If you go for the more non commerical type of plasma (e.g. Pio MXE) with the video cards, you will have to connect cables for each component you have. This will result in lots of cables and in some cases will mean you won't be able to separate your kit from the display quite as far (unless you use your amp for audio and video switching).

I was intiially looking at the MXE but on reflection I think the media receiver/tuner box is the better option as it's more flexible (in terms of siting equipment) and a whole lot neater.
    It may not be as upgradeable but with component, scart, RGB, HDMI, S-Video, audio and PC inputs, I'm not sure what else is left that I could want in the next few years.

5. peejay

peejay

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you don't use a tuner/media box, what happens with non-widescreen material? I'm assuming that the screen won't do anything clever with it, it will just uniformally stretch the 4:3 material to fill the 16:9 screen, giving you fat-o-vision? Am I assuming wrongly?

6. redsox_mark

redsox_mark

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +621
  7. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Check the sticky at the top, re automatic aspect switching. That's what you mean, and yes, Callista Flochart looks normal unless you take steps. But IMHO plasma tuners suck. D-TV is the only way to go, sky, freeview, whatever, it always looks better on plasma than any analogue tuner.