Do I need a tuner - Panny TH-42PWD6

M

markwhiteside99

Been to buy a Panasonic TH-42PWD6 today. Intending to use Sky as by TV input, and a Sony DAV300 (cinema in a box) for DVD and sound.

After talking to the man, he has stated that I should not go for the Panny unless I buy a tuner also (£400-500), as I will have lip synching problems through both DVD and Sky?

He has suggested I go for the Hitachi 42 PD5200 instead as this comes with a tuner and sound/speakers.

As there are a lot of people buying the Panny on this forum, I wonder if this is indeed a problem?

I am new to this, so any advice much appreciated. . . . £2500 is a lot for me to spend on a 'telly', so I need to get it right.

Cheers

Mark

No you don't need a tuner. (unless of course you want to have analogue teletext!)
Plug your sky/freeview box into a scart terminal board (which is an extra - although many in this forum seem to slate the scart and prefer the component board). If your DVD has component outputs, buy a lektropak cable and feed this direct to the VGA input - or buy a RGB to VGA/YUY convertor instead.

markwhiteside99

Interesting concept from your retailer - add an extra box in the Video chain to stop Audio delay; I suppose it could work if the tuner actually had an audio delay feature but as it doesn't the retailers advice doesn't hold up.

You wont find too many around here who are big fans of a £500 Analogue TV tuner with SCART switching - especially one that tends to add grain to the picture you see on your screen.

Avoid the tuner and dare I say it avoid that retailer!

If your only going to use the Plasma with your SKY Digibox and the DAV-S300 and no PC you can do without the tuner box and configure your system as follows:

1 x TH-42PWD6BX Display
1 x TY-42TM6BB Composite/S-Video board
1 x JS Technology RGB2VGA converter
1 x S-Video cable (DAV-S300 to Plasma)
1 x SCART cable (SKY to RGB converter)
1 x VGA (HD15) cable (RGB converter to Plasma).

The Stereo Audio out from your SKY box goes direct to the Aux In on the DAV-S300 amplifier.

The above will work well and save you a few quid on the tuner and produce better pictures.

Best regards

Joe

PS I take it you already own the Sony DAV-S300 Home Theatre system?

May I go further on Joe's advice? The DAVS300 is on the 'barely adequate' list for connecting to a plasma. You will get a picture, but not exacly how most prefer it here. A considerably better HC system, or beter still, separate amp and DVD player, will help a lot. It needn't be a bucketload of cash to beat the davs on all counts. If this is not possible at the moment for cash reasons, then if you are hiding the speaker cables in any way, hide good cable, not the davs stuff, in preparation for the real thing.

Can I sneak on to this thread Mark as I am in a very similar position, I do apologise if this is rude

I too have sky+
A dvd player which can output via component leads
A dvd recorder which can output rgb through scart and s-video through scart or leads

I am thinking of gettting a Denon 2803 Amp would this be adequate for my needs?

Does the display just come with one standard VGA input?

what would I need connection wise?

Another very sill y question, but do you actually need the pedestal stand to stand the display on a cabinet?

Hey, thanks very much to all that have responded, it has helped me a great deal.

Joe, I do already own the DAVS300, and have gathered from the forum that it is not the best, although for now it will have to do. I will look to upgrade, but for now £2250 is enough to be spending. . . . . . ahhh what we could all do with 6 numbers!

I think the next move is to go ahead and order the Panny with the composite/S--Video board and wall mount. I think Nexnix seem to have the best deal, so I will give them a shout tomorrow.

If anyone has any other advice then please let me have it before I load the mastercard tomorrow!

appreciate all thoughts, past and present,

Mark

PS - the retailer giving the advice was S&V in Bolton - was a bit surprised, as I thought they were experts??

Originally posted by markwhiteside99
I think the next move is to go ahead and order the Panny with the composite/S--Video board and wall mount. I think Nexnix seem to have the best deal, so I will give them a shout tomorrow.

If anyone has any other advice then please let me have it before I load the mastercard tomorrow!

Ummm ... you mean the 6Y input board right (svideo/composite/component) ?

markwhiteside99

I think they may be 'Expert' Hitachi Plasma resellers :)

Bobbles

Think of the PWD6 as a big PC monitor with 1 x HD15 (VGA) input and THREE blank Expansion slots.

There are a choice of seven Boards with which you can populate the Expansion slots.

From the factory the display wont have any Boards installed and Boards are normally specified as required - though some dealers do offer the odd 'bundle' price with say a SCART Board supplied (though often not installed).

Best regards

Joe

Originally posted by markwhiteside99
I think Nexnix seem to have the best deal, so I will give them a shout tomorrow.

I can personally recommend The Media Factory. Excellent advice and backup when I bought my Panasonic PWD6.

Cheers,
Liam

Ummm ... you mean the 6Y input board right (svideo/composite/component) ?

Thats right, thats the puppy.

Ordered this morning from Matt G at Nexnix, taken Joes advice, and the whole thing came to about £2400 and change, including all cables, the RGB conveter and the 6Y board. To cap it all, it should be delivered TOMORROW!!!!

So standby for lots of 'how do I. . . . .' questions!!

Thanks again for responses,

Mark

Can anyone confirm the 6Y board is composite/component and s-video

on the offer page on nexnix states it does but then on the order page it is listed as composite/component. No mention of s-video

I think the S-video input is also on the composite board paired together.

the 6Y board is dual slot (it will take up two of the three free slots) and does include composite, s-video and BNC component (in that order from left to right). I fitted mine two or three nights ago! Very easy to do - take off two of the board blanking plates (I used slot 2 and 3 - 4 screws on each) - push fit the 6Y board in and secure using just 4 screws making sure you follow the order stated in the instructions. Stick the connection label on so you know what is what and away you go!

Perhaps a bit late in adding to this thread, but at the moment my system is DVD player componet in to the screen via component, and XBox/Sky/DVD recorder via the RGB to Plasma VGA unit. I often swap my system around, but this is very similar to how to connnect the DAV system which have component output, and stil be able to get an excellent picture for Sky.

All the best,

Dr John Sim.

I have made the mistake of getting my Panny 6 with the scart board thinking that it would be more than just one scart input.

How do I connect the following:

Sony DVP NS305 DVD player
Sony HTH 1000 receiver and speaker kit
Telewest digibox
Xbox

I am assuming that I need a RGB converter box connected the serial port?

Sorry to sound like a moron, but the way I figureed when I bought the screen was that as I only had a scart output on my dvd player and digibox so I wouldnt need the component board.

How many inputs does the sony accept? If only one you could go the Quintro route, these can be bought for less than £100

JS tech sell RGB to VGA converters for around 120

Does the digibox allow an rgb pass through? If so you could Daisy chain the xbox or dvdplayer through it.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom