1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do i need a subwoofer?

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by jjsteph1969, Jan 24, 2005.

1. jjsteph1969

jjsteph1969
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    where do i start. I have had my subwoofer for about 7 years it's a M&S ts200i or ts2000i. I am running a pair of Mission M74i's for my fronts, mission m7c2 for my centre speaker and full range canon rears. My amp is Pioneer vxd 402 slimline

i am thinking of doing away with my sub. All we really watch is normal t.v and the sub is a bit of an eye sore. That's my wife's words

My question is would the bass be routed to my front speakers if i disconnect my sub?

The freq of my mission's is down to 44hz. Most of the subs on the market go down to 35hz. I know they will be some difference but how much?

advice would be welcome

JOHN

2. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,392
    If all you are watching is normal TV then I doubt it will be much of a loss if you got rid of your sub.
    If however you watch DVDs then you will be totally missing the LFE that is only sent to a sub.
    Also your speakers will not strictly be able to do 44Hz as the SPL at the lower frequencies will be far less than higher frequencies. But for TV this is probably good enough as no real bass is needed, or even transmitted as a standard TV speaker just couldn't handle it.

If you do get rid of the sub just go into the setup menu of your receiver and tell it that there is no sub connected. All bass will then be sent to the main speakers - make sure they are set to large.

Mark.

3. theo cupier

theo cupier

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +113
    I have to agree with Mark. After 1 week WITH a sub (for the first time) I would not do without it for DVD movies and music. However, on the occasion I've watched normal TV I've found it sitting idle pretty much all the time.

I actually found a mono DVD over the weekend - the Beiderbecke collection - and played some episodes of that with just my centre speaker on. Pity really, I would have liked to have listened to some of the jazz with a bit more musicality to the recording.

4. jjsteph1969

jjsteph1969
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Big thanks for the quick response. I will keep my sub or sell my sub and buy a new one which looks good. Any ideas for around £150

Thanks again

JOHN

5. MSYam

MSYam
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    That price area is a bit unlucky. The reason being that for little more you can get a cracking sub. If you got to Richer Sounds you will get a Mordaunt-Short MS309 for £205 (if you do the Price Beat over Peter Tyson).

This was the sub I was planning on... till I discovered the BK XLS200 of course which is an absolute class act for £279.

Realising this is well over your budget, the 309 will do most systems justice (if you can afford the extra £50 that is). I have now realised that there is a huge performance difference between a £150 sub and a £200 (or there abouts) sub.